Average wage for
There are currently 10 300 people employed in roles similar to Speech Therapy Assistants in Australia and it’s considered a small sized occupation. According to the Department of Employment, over the five years to November 2018, the number of job openings for similar professions is expected to be equal to or less than 5000.
Employment by State
Almost a third of those working in roles similar to Speech Therapy Assistants in Australia are located in Victoria (29.9%) and Queensland (27.2%). Employment in the Australian Capital Territory is has the lowest figures per state, at 1.4%.
This is a more female dominated industry across both full time work (55.8%) and part-time work (37.4%). Males make up 3% of full time employment and 3.9% of part time employment.
The median age for people in roles similar to Speech Therapy Assistants is 34, which is 6 years younger than the median age of all other occupations.
People in roles similar to Speech Therapy Assistants work an average of 38.5 hours per week. This is 2.6 hours less per week than the average for all occupations.
Many workers employed in a profession similar to Speech Pathology Assistants have either a Bachelor degree (26.3%) or Diploma (30%) or Certificate qualification (28%).
Speech Therapy Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Identify a patient’s developmental speech and communication difficulties
- Assess and treat swallowing and communication difficulties arising from a range of causes
- Advising carers on implementing treatment programmes and training other professionals in therapy delivery
- Assess communication environments
- Monitor and evaluate client progress
- Write and maintain confidential client case notes and reports, as well as information for clients, carers and other professionals
- Work with clients on a one-to-one basis, and in groups, to deliver therapy
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.