Average wage for
Around 10,800 people are currently employed as Interior Design Consultants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 12,400 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
33.4% of all Interior Design Consultants are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Interior Design Consultants is TAS, with only 0.6%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 17.6% of Interior Design Consultants being male and 82.4% female.
The most popular age for people working as Interior Design Consultants is 25-34 years old, with 37.1%. A small percentage (4%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Interior Design Consultants, with 6% aged 55-59.
Interior Design Consultants work an average of 45 hours a week which is 4.1 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Interior Design Consultants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (53.4%) or are at a Certificate III/IV level (31.5%). 84.9% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 15.1% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Interior Design Consultant Duties & Tasks
- Suggest design ideas that will be both functional and attractive.
- Meet with clients to discuss needs and objectives.
- Research ideal materials and make suggestions based on knowledge.
- Provide plans, sketches, proposals and cost estimates to clients.
- Use computer-aided design software to draw up blueprints.
- Coordinate with other professionals to complete job.
- Implement design ideas and make adjustments if necessary.
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.