Once you are enrolled in this course, you will receive access to the first Module, which contains the first set of units for the course. When you have successfully completed those units, you'll be given access to the next Module.
Modules 1 - 6 have been released and are now available. The subsequent modules will be available by the following dates:
Module 7: December 2020
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements. Please download the course guide for current information about the course and its status.
Photography: Yesterday, today and tomorrow
You will research a photographer and genre of your choice to spark your creativity.
||Research history and theory to inform own arts practice
- Research history and theory
- Link research to own arts practice
- Update and maintain knowledge of trends in own arts practice
Colour, design, lighting and editing
In this module you’ll shoot still life images and learn about lighting, colour and design. You’ll photograph a subject of your choice e.g. a bowl of fruit, dishes, technology (phone/headphones), instruments. You’ll shoot indoors in controlled lighting like you would on a product photography shoot.
||Integrate colour theory and design processes
- Research information on colour theory and design processes
- Communicate ideas through the application of colour and design theory
- Evaluate design work
||Apply photo imaging lighting techniques
- Set up lighting for photo shoot
- Light subjects
- Capture images
- Complete post-shoot activities
||Enhance, manipulate and output photo images
- Plan image output
- Prepare for analog or digital work
- Enhance and manipulate images
- Output images
- Complete post-shoot activities
Knowing the industry and working safely
This module will teach all about how the industry works! Learn how other photographers work and their place within the industry.
||Develop and apply photo imaging industry knowledge
- Source and apply industry information
- Update and maintain industry knowledge
||Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- Work safely
- Implement work safety requirements
- Participate in WHS consultative processes
Producing commercial and innovative images
This module concentrates on commercial photography - in particular, portraits and fashion.
||Produce commercial photo images
- Establish contract for shoot
- Prepare for shoot
- Shoot and produce images
- Wrap up and review shoot
||Produce innovative digital images
- Experiment with digital imaging techniques and media
- Develop ideas for digital imaging
- Organise digital imaging resources
- Realise finished digital images
- Evaluate digital imaging work
||Style merchandise for photography
Processing and archiving
You’ll learn about finishing images by adjusting and exporting them for various delivery requirements, platforms and sizes. You’ll also learn about the best ways to back-up and protect your work.
||Process photo images to work-print and file stage
||Store and maintain finished creative work
Interpreting and responding to briefs
In this module you will learn how to work and succeed in the photography business – how to start working with clients, how to photograph for others and respond to a design brief, as well as how to develop contracts, work out costing, and receive payment.
||Interpret and respond to a design brief
||Capture images in response to a brief
Freelancing and portfolio exhibition
You’ll learn how to get work and how to get paid! This module teaches you how to provide freelancing services legally and gives you an understanding of tax invoices, and how to build your business. You’ll learn about invoicing, creating an ABN, creating a business name and copyright.
By the end of the course you will have a digital portfolio for promotional purposes. You may choose to specialise in one genre or include shots captured during the course covering a variety of genres.
||Provide freelance services
- Promote self to potential clients
- Negotiate work arrangements
- Manage financial and business aspects of service
- Undertake strategic planning
||Realise a body of creative work