You will need to have obtained at least:
- Year 10 or equivalent
- Vocational training and/or work experience in a relevant role.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
Entry to this course requires English proficiency to Year 10 level, or equivalent (see Education Requirements for equivalency) or completion of an approved English language test (see below):
IELTSOverall score of 5.5TOEFL530 (paper), 197 (computer) or 71 (internet)
You will need to have basic computing skills to undertake this course. This includes the ability to:
- Use the computer, mouse and keyboard with proficiency in skills required to integrate software packages, save files and search the internet
- Attach and use peripheral devices such as a scanner, digital camera, media storage (for example, a flash drive for design storage)
- Save a compressed file (.zip)
Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 4GB of RAM - 8GB is recommended
- 10.5GB available hard disc space for installation; additional free space is required during installation
- CD-ROM or DVD drive - compatible with duel layer DVDs
- Adobe Reader X or equivalent
- 1280 x 800 display (1280 x 1024 recommended) with 16 – bit colour and 512 MB of V RAM
- Access to an A3 and A2 printer or photocopier
- Access to a high resolution colour printer and scanner
Specific requirements for Windows users:
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher, Windows 8 is recommended
- Intel Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
- Open GL 2.0 – capable system
- Java Runtime Environment 1.6
- Quicktime 7.6.6 software required for HTML 5 media playback and multimedia features
- Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files.
Specific requirements for Mac OS users:
- Mac OS X v 10.6.8 or v 10.7
- Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
You will also need access to a printer and scanner.
As part of this course you are required to undertake up to 240 hours of Structured Workplace Learning in a registered child care facility, supervised by a qualified staff member. You will also need to secure your own Work Placement, however Open Colleges can provide advice and direction through our Work Placement Support Team.
There are a number of statutory checks required by workplaces, such as a Criminal Record Check. These may vary by state. In addition, individual workplaces may impose additional requirements on students undertaking work placement. You will be responsible for the costs of any such checks or requirements. Please see the Workplace Assessment Guide for details on the individual statutory requirements for your state or territory.
You will also need to complete a First Aid Certificate to demonstrate competency for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting at your own cost prior to undertaking your work placement.
Your work placement will need to be completed in Australia, and you will be responsible for the costs of any travel, accommodation, statutory checks or other requirements related to your work placement.
To receive a comprehensive guide to undertaking work placement for this course, submit your details in the enquiry box on this page.
You will need to be reasonably physically fit as the role may involve a variety of tasks that require a reasonable amount of physical activity, such as personal care of children, lifting, cleaning and other physically demanding activities.
Once you are enrolled in this course, you will receive access to the first Study Period, which contains the first set of units for the course. When you have successfully completed those units, you'll be given access to the next Study Period. Study Period 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 have been released and are available.