Aug. 8, 2018
We are one of Australia’s oldest and largest providers of open learning. For over 100 years we have been helping people from all walks of life to improve their lives through learning. Over this time, we have delivered education and training to more than 800,000 Australians.
Today, we deliver a diverse portfolio of over 90 courses and focus on meeting the needs of adult learners by providing highly flexible, accessible and affordable education and training.
We have a clear vision and have experienced step-change growth and organisational expansion over the last three years. We are well positioned to sustain strong growth into the future - driven by increased market demand for online learning combined with continued investment in further expanding our course portfolio and improving the learner experience and competitiveness of our courses.
Our team includes over 380 staff and 100 contract educators. Over the last three years, we have been through a fundamental organisational transformation.
About the position
Reporting to the Head of Creative Services and as a part of the Product development team, it’s an exciting time to be part of our business, with lots to do to continue evolving how we think about our customers’ experiences.
As a UX/UI Designer with CX aspirations, you’ll be hands-on in all aspects of user experience research methods and visual design rapidly transforming research insights into product concepts and prototypes.
You will use your knowledge and experience to solve challenges with strong creative visual communications skills and human-centric ways delivering meaningful experiences for customers through their end-to-end journeys.
You have a passion for improving customer experiences through design and passionate about using approaches like Design Thinking, Lean Start Up, and techniques like co-creation to experiment and generate innovative ideas.
You’ll be successful in this role if you are comfortable with designing and facilitating strategic conversations and workshops with stakeholders of all levels, both within and outside our organisation and driving people to positive outcomes.
Your core functions
- Assist with UX foundations, communicating ideas and UX design best practices.
- Strong research capability conducting user research, interviews and surveys, and translating them into sitemaps, user flows, customer journey maps, wireframes, mock-ups and high / low fidelity prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences with a wide range of UX assets and deliverables.
- In conducting a variety of research methods, assist analyse the findings and apply to product development concepts and prototypes to further test and iterate.
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions and take a user-centred design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Designing and facilitating strategic conversations and workshops both within organisation and outside our organisation.
- Work closely with key technical staff to assist design product functionality and feature direction in order to ensure a great user experience and iterate upon it in accordance with user-testing.
- Be passionate about resolving user pain points through great design.
- Working beyond UX with the wider business to share and promote a common strategic vision for cross-organisational projects.
- Apply design thinking problem-solving methods to a wider range of organisation challenges.
- Identifying key CX insights and opportunities through research, data analysis, client & user workshops to lay the foundations for solution building.
Key attributes and skills:
- 5+ years UX experience architecting consumer facing applications, websites and mobile experiences.
- Experience with concepting, ideation, and high and low fidelity prototyping.
- Strong skills in ideation, sketching, wireframing, user flows, mapping and information architecture.
- A grasp of user-centred design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing.
- Create customer journey maps and service blueprints to articulate and optimise complex processes and systems.
- Experience in using UX/UI design best practices to design solutions, and a deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design.
- Experience working in an agile environment, and ideally driving lean, agile methodology Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, and users.
- Exposure to customer experience design projects, process improvement design and implementation and Service environments would be a bonus.
- Design strategy, trends and how they apply to brand and service/product planning that’s customer focussed and a creative thinker.
- Ability to translate complex business requirements and goals into successful UX solutions with an aspiration to work across the business with CX projects.
- Experience in product or service design using HCD principles and Process improvement design and implementation.
**This position is based in our offices in Sydney CBD**
Please email your resume and cover letter to Ciaran Martin, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Open Colleges (02) 8048 5006.
Please note that due to the high volume of response anticipated for this role, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
*Applicants must have full Australian Working Rights*
**No Recruitment Agencies**