10 Apps to Improve Your Memory
Who wouldn’t like a better memory? The issue is, how can we get one short of better genes and superhuman brain power? A few apps may hold the key. In this post, we share some of our favorites so you can educate and empower yourself.
What are the best apps to improve memory?
Peak is a brain training app developed in partnership with experts from leading academic institutions like Cambridge and NYU. It uses puzzles and games to improve your memory, problem solving, and critical thinking skills. Here are some of its main features:
- Free brain games to challenge your Memory, Attention, Math, Problem Solving, Mental Agility, Language, Coordination, Creativity and Emotion Control.
- Learn which categories your brain excels in, and compete with friends by comparing your brain map and brain game performance.
- Coach, the personal trainer for your brain, helps you track your progress and improve.
- Cognitive brain training with games from expert researchers at Cambridge University, NYU and more.
- Works offline so you can enjoy Peak brain games wherever you are. Selected by Google as Editor’s Choice.
- More than 45 brain games available and regular updates to keep you challenged.
- Get personalised brain training workouts and in-depth insights with Peak Pro.
- Get access to Peak Advanced Training modules: intensive programs that train a specific skill, including the new Wizard memory game created with Professor Barbara Sahakian and Tom Piercy in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge.
Eidetic is a spaced repetition learning app that helps you recall phone numbers, interesting words or facts, and other important information. Spaced repetition is all about pacing your learning and repeating it over time so that your brain encodes new information better. That’s as opposed to methods like “cramming” where you only go over the information once and your brain never has a chance to reinforce that learning. Cramming might work for short-term memory tasks, but for long-term retention you need spaced repetition.
Studies show that exercise improves memory and other brain functions, so downloading a workout app might be the smartest move you can make today to improve your memory. Aaptiv is not only a smartphone app, it can also function as your everyday workout buddy. Use Aaptiv to coach you through every step of your exercise routine with the addition of music to keep you moving.
Hibou is a double package. It is a highlighter and a spaced repetition tool for anything you read with your browser. The Chrome extension helps you highlight anything you find interesting on the web. You can add a note to your highlight for more context. Any text you highlight enters the extension’s queue where it sits until its review time.
One of the most popular smartphones apps on the market today, Elevate lets you develop your skills with 40+ games to increase productivity and self-confidence. It focuses on skills like math, reading, writing, speaking, and listening-based memory retention.
Cognito is a game-like app with secret agents and global spying missions, around its brain-training tests. It still has all the serious features of the genre though: memory, logic and word mini-games, and stats tracking how your skills improve over time.
7. FitBrains Trainer
Another fresh, modern take on brain training for mobile devices, Fit Brains Trainer has more than 35 games, grouped into different workout sessions to keep your daily practice from feeling stale, whether you’re testing your memory, concentration, language or other skills.
8. Clockwork Brain
Clockwork Brain is a series of fun & challenging games, specifically created to test cognitive skills across five areas: Memory, Attention, Reasoning, Dexterity, and Language. All puzzles feature bite-sized, fast-paced gameplay, and adaptive difficulty.
Cognifit is a leading interactive mental game application that helps stimulate cognitive skills through personalized daily training. Compare your cognitive skills with the rest of the global population and activate your brain with brain challenges, memory games, puzzles, ingenious games, and more.
Decoder improves memory by improving concentration, engaging users in simple games in seven different game modes. “Dedicate only 5 minutes a day playing with this app,” the website claims, “and start noticing its beneficial effects within a few days.”