There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading learning content and undertaking a range of written assessments and engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 12 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 12 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; or
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to by Open Colleges.
Due to the inclusion of Adobe Creative Cloud in this course, minimum computer specifications are:
- Microsoft Office 2007 or equivalent
- Broadband Internet Connection
- 4GB of Ram – 8GB is Recommended
- 10.5GB available hard disc space for installation; additional free space is required during installation.
- DVD – Rom Drive – compatible with dual layer DVD’s
- 1280 x 800 display (1280 x 1024 recommended) with 16 – bit colour and 512 MB of V RAM
- Mac OS X v 10.6.8 or v 10.7
- Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Intel Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
- Open GL 2.0 – Capable system
- Java Runtime Environment 1.6
- QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for HTML 5 media playback and multimedia features
- Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF file
- You will also need access to Zip software.
You’ll need access to a digital camera and related software for taking photos for illustration purposes, taking photos to document the progress of a particular design process, and to photograph completed design artefacts.
To complete this course you will also need:
- Access to a high resolution colour printer and scanner (you could access these through a local copy shop)
- A visual diary and sketching paper for preliminary sketches of designs
You will need to have proficient computing skills to undertake this course. This includes:
- Familiarity with Internet searches
- Experience with social media platforms
- Using a digital camera and media storage
- Basic computing skills with software programs such as Microsoft Office
- Experience with or an aptitude to learn Adobe Creative Suite software
This course requires the use of design industry software. You will need access to the Adobe Creative Suite, which can be purchased on subscription through the Adobe Creative Cloud (ACC). The ACC subscription is not included in the course fee. Student subscriptions are available at a reduced price. Refer to the Adobe website www.adobe.com.au.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.