Action for Children and the Aged (ACATA) Australia is a registered charity and non-profit organisation. It comprises of medical experts and health advocates who work towards addressing humanitarian crisis, marginalised care, and unmet medical needs in high risk communities on health and diet related issues for children and the aged. ACATA Australia works to promote healthy life styles and eating habits to influence the health of children and the aged.
Both ACATA Australia and Open Colleges have jointly agreed to provide Open Colleges Diploma of Community Services and Diploma of Counselling students with the opportunity to participate in a two-week work placement experience of 160 hours. Students will be participating as volunteers in Fijian communities in programs coordinated by ACATA Australia. Students will be supervised by an approved Workplace Supervisor and the Diploma of Community Services students will be assessed during the placement by Open Colleges Trainers/ Assessors who will also attend each project.
ACATA Australia project partners include:
- Open Colleges
- Gymnastics Australia
- Koronivia Farmers’ Cooperative
- Lions Clubs of Fiji
- Australian Red Cross
- Projects Abroad
- Ministry of Education Fiji
- Ministry of Health Fiji
ACATA Australia’s major project achievements include:
- School Health and Wellness Policy
- Vodafone mHealth
- Innovative Behaviour Change Projects
- Fitness for Health Programs
- Eating Clean Challenge
- Corporate Wellness Initiatives
- Impact Education in Schools
- Public Health Projects and Research
- Social Media Health Literacy
Expression of Interest
Please read the Fiji Work Placement Project Information Sheet, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and the Eligibility Criteria before completing this Expression of Interest form.
The project dates will be from Monday 2nd September 2019 to Friday 13th September 2019. This project will be in Nadi and the Corral Coast, Fiji and will include volunteering in schools, an orphanage, villages, the community and corporate settings.
Students are required to complete and submit an online Expression of Interest form by Monday 8th July 2019.
If selected for placement with ACATA Australia, you will be required to meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the Open Colleges CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services or CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling and have completed Module 1 to 6.
- Hold a passport (with at least 6 months currency after your scheduled departure date from Fiji).
- Provide a medical certificate stating that you are fit for travel and participating in physical activities.
- Provide a current National Police Check
- Provide a current resume
- Provide a copy of your personal travel insurance details.
- Pay for your own travel.
- Pay for your homestay costs of $1150 for the fortnight which also includes a project t-shirt. This will need to be paid directly to ACATA by Monday 22nd July 2019 to guarantee your place in the project.