You must have:
- Completed an undergraduate (Bachelor) degree
- Completed a diploma or advanced diploma qualification and possess at least six months equivalent full-time relevant workplace experience at a mid to senior level of leadership and management*.
- Twelve months equivalent full-time relevant experience at a mid to senior level of leadership and management*.
* Prior to enrollment you will be required to submit evidence of your relevant management experience. Evidence can include your position description, payslips, letters of employment and your resume.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading learning content and undertaking a range of written assessments and engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 12 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 12 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; or
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to by Open Colleges.
You will need access to a computer and the internet and have basic computing skills. Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher
- Access to printer and associated software
- Access to scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
You will need access to a digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, audio and image files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
You will also need access to software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc are available as a download from the internet.
Some assessments include a component for you to record an audio or video. The requirements for these vary depending on the assessment. If you are unable to conduct these in the workplace and this is a requirement of the assessment, you have the option of engaging with friends, family and other students to record this via other means, such as Skype.
To be successful in your studies, you will need access to a work environment to complete assessments. These will require you to have access to:
- Departments (within an organisation) on which to base scenarios
- Organisational charts
- Organisational strategic and business plans (both current and past)
- Policies and procedures relating to the organisation’s current state, project management and risk management
- Information on current organisational training and assessment requirements
- Team members and senior management for consultation and collaboration
- Business technology, including access to spreadsheet software
You will need to carry out the following in your selected work environment:
- Collaborate with others and manage workplace relationships
- Conduct consultation with team members, senior management and stakeholders
- Communicate, both formally and informally in the workplace on a one-to-one and group basis through email, meetings, presentations (including video presentations), training, workshops and/or conference calls etc.
- Conduct surveys and gather data to measure and report on performance
- Obtain approvals to implement plans and strategies at work, such as organisational learning strategies and change management project plans
- Access workplace policies, procedures, forms and templates
- Provide strategic leadership in relation to change, and apply a range of leadership practices
- Build and maintain commercial partnerships and relationships
You do not need to be employed in an organisation; however, you must have access to a workplace where you can implement new initiatives and projects. The workplace may be one with which you are providing consultancy services (at a high organisational level) or volunteering in, this includes community organisations.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.