This course is ideal for people who have no management experience but want to move into leadership roles. The course is also perfect if you have recently stepped into management but have no qualifications and would like a strong set of skills to help you become a better leader.
Why study this course?
- This course will help progress your career to the next level. Learn transferable leadership skills, which will take you from team member to manager.
- You will learn a broad set of management skills, which can be used in many industries, allowing you to graduate with numerous career opportunities.
- Electives in this course have been selected to meet current industry demand. This means that you will graduate with a skill-set highly valued by employers.
- When you complete your first module, you will receive a 12-month affiliate membership with the Institute of Managers and Leaders, which will give you access to a range of benefits, such as access to e-newsletters, blogs, events, and online resources. IML is a key industry membership organisation for managers at a variety of levels.
- This course may serve as a path into further study, including advancing to the BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management.
|Qualification name||BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management|
|Course duration||Self paced - maximum of 18 months|
|Recommended hours per week||23.0|
|Qualification level||Certificate IV|
|Assessments||Multiple choice Quiz, Projects, Role plays, Video, Written assessments|
|Awarded by||Open Colleges Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90796)|
About the course
The business and management industry is one of the largest service industries in Australia. In fact, the outlook until 2025 is for over 98,000 new management roles to be added to the industry. This will mean new jobs and career opportunities for qualified managers with the skills to lead teams large and small.
Source: Australian Government Job Outlook (https://joboutlook.gov.au/)
Who this course is for
This course is ideal for people who have no management experience but want to move into leadership roles.
The course is also perfect if you have recently stepped into management but have no qualifications and would like a strong set of skills that will help you become a better leader.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note - limitations do apply.
Potential career outcomes
- Coordinator (Business Operations)
- Distribution Centre Supervisor
- Freight Administrative Supervisor
- Frontline Sales Manager
- Leading Hand
- Line Manager
- Production Supervisor
- Sales Team Manager
- Team Leader
- Warehouse Team Leader
What you'll learn
During the course, you will learn how to:
- Demonstrate leadership in the workplace, including how to lead and facilitate a team
- Write complex documents
- Coordinate business operational plans
- Apply communication strategies in the workplace, and how to develop and use emotional intelligence
- Apply critical thinking to work practices
- How to lead effective workplace relationships
- Develop personal work priorities
- Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures, and programs
- Undertake project work
- Build and maintain business relationships
Learning materials are accessed through our online platform, OpenSpace. These learning materials include:
- Learning content
- Additional resources
- Practice activities
Chris JonesChris holds a Diploma of Leadership and Management, has almost 15 years experience in this field and is a Director of two private companies. He is an inspirational leader who tells stories that inspire action while at the same time is grounded in financial information that levers the business. Respected as a credible voice in decision making, finding strategic financing partners, and establishing governance boundaries, Chris earns a seat at the table wherever he serves. Chris has been in education for over 6 years, working with domestic students. He is passionate about education and thrives on empowering others to succeed.
Rosalie Pellew has over 30 years' experience in customer engagement; workplace training and assessment; facilitating adult education; leading and coaching customer contact teams; and supporting on-line learning students.
Rosalie’s experience spans various industries from retail and telecommunications to food production. Rosalie has been in Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector for over 14 years.
Pursuing her passion for adult education, Rosalie refocused into student services to assist students through their learning journey and beyond to training and assessing. She holds a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, Diplomas in Teaching, Adult Education, Business Administration, Business and Leadership & Management.
Tanya has many years of experience working in the Airline Industry through her role at World Aviation Systems who represent various airlines here in Sydney (Air Tahiti Nui and Hawaiian Airlines to name a few). She has extensive knowledge of Sales, marketing, reservations and the general business operations of an Airline. Through her role at World Aviation she travelled extensively and gained knowledge on various destinations first hand. Tanya has been teaching Certificate III and Diploma of Tourism for the past 10 years to pass on her passion/knowledge for the Tourism Industry to her students. Recently Tanya has received her Certificate IV in Business Administration to supplement her current role as Operations Manager of a financial planning firm. While still consulting with the travel industry she has been in the financial Industry for the past 5 years developing relevant policies/procedures and complying with regulatory practices.
Tanya’s qualifications are Diploma of Tourism, Certificate IV in Tourism, Certificate III in Tourism , Certificate IV in Training & Assessment and Certificate IV in Business Administration.
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements.
|BSBLDR411||Demonstrate leadership in the workplace|
- Prepare to demonstrate leadership
- Align behaviour with organisational values
- Model leadership behaviour
|BSBWRT411||Write complex documents|
- Plan complex document
- Draft complex document
- Finalise complex document
|BSBOPS402||Coordinate business operational plans|
- Prepare to implement operational plan
- Implement operational plan
- Monitor operational performance
- Review operations based on performance
|BSBXCM401||Apply communication strategies in the workplace|
- Prepare for communication
- Use communication strategies to provide work instruction
- Facilitate workplace communication
- Monitor and support team communication
|BSBPEF502||Develop and use emotional intelligence|
- Prepare to develop emotional intelligence
- Develop emotional intelligence
- Promote development of emotional intelligence in others
|BSBCRT411||Apply critical thinking to work practices|
- Establish role of critical thinking in workplace
- Lead critical thinking process
- Develop critical thinking mindset
|BSBLDR413||Lead effective workplace relationships|
- Prepare to lead workplace relationships
- Lead workplace relationships
- Review leadership
|BSBXTW401||Lead and facilitate a team|
- Plan team outcomes
- Coordinate team and individuals
- Support team
- Monitor team performance
|BSBPEF402||Develop personal work priorities|
- Plan personal work schedule
- Implement personal work schedule
- Review personal work priorities
|BSBWHS411||Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs|
- Provide information to work team about WHS policies and procedures
- Implement and monitor work team consultative arrangements for managing WHS
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures for providing WHS training to work team
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures and legal requirements for identifying hazards, and assessing and controlling risks
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures for maintaining WHS records
|BSBPMG430||Undertake project work|
- Establish project parameters
- Develop project plan
- Administer and monitor project
- Finalise and review project
|BSBTWK401||Build and maintain business relationships|
- Establish business relationships
- Maintain business relationships
- Build and improve business relationships
- Multiple choice Quiz
- Role plays
- Written assessments
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Our Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
The duration for the course is self paced - maximum of 18 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
There are no mandated education entry requirements for this qualification, per the BSB Business Services Training Package.
There are no mandatory Open Colleges entry requirements.
Recommended Local Entry Requirements
- Are 18 years old (note students under 18 will need permission from a parent or guardian to enrol)
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensure the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete Year 12 or ACSF Level 3.
- You will need to have completed Year 12, or a qualification at Certificate III level or higher
- Access to a modern computer with video / audio playback capabilities and high-speed internet
- Access to Microsoft Office or equivalent
- Basic computing skills, including ability to make a short video
- Access to a digital video recording device to save and upload video/image files to OpenSpace, e.g., mobile phone/smartphone.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
You’ll be required to operate office equipment and resources including telephone, photocopier, scanner and printer in a safe environment that includes an ergonomically sound computer workstation.
Equipment and tools
This course includes a requirement to record video and/ or audio roleplays. These will require participation by 1-2 other people sourced by you.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
Pay in Full
You can choose to pay your course fees in full upon enrolment and benefit from a 10% discount (unless otherwise advertised).
Pay 50% & Payment Plan Combo
You can also choose to pay 50% of your total course fees upon enrolment and the balance on a Payment Plan. When you do, you’ll benefit from 50% of the standard Pay in Full discount (unless otherwise advertised).
You can choose to pay for your course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
Zip Money Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility with your finances and would like to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, we can assist by organising Zip Money to pay your course fees directly to us on your behalf, and you pay this loan back to Zip Money over an agreed period of time. Zip Money provides you flexible options of selecting a 24, 36 or 48 months interest-free, payment plan (dependant on which course you’re enrolling into) to suit your lifestyle, giving you more flexibility than ever before.
With BPAY®, you’re able to pay quickly and securely, 24/7 through your internet, mobile or phone banking service. You can choose when, how much and from which account to pay from - whatever works for you. BPAY® is only available when paying in full. Call an Enrolment Consultant to find out more.
BPAY® is a trademark of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518. Check if BPAY® is right for you by reading the terms and conditions available from your Financial Institution.
Studying online with Open Colleges
Flexibility - study at your own pace
When you study online with Open Colleges you’re in control.
You can choose to complete your course quickly, or keep to a steady pace. Learning is fully flexible so you can fit your everyday commitments around your studies.
Everything you need to study is online so you can study wherever you like – but that doesn’t mean you’re on your own.
OpenSpace is our online learning platform. It’s where you’ll go to access your learning materials, contact your expert trainers and assessors and upload your assessments.
Your online community
What is OpenSpace?
Open Colleges offers you a custom-designed online-learning platform called OpenSpace.
Your learning platform is the heart of your study experience. This is where you'll navigate through your course materials, contact your trainers and assessors, and connect with other online students.
What can you do in OpenSpace?
OpenSpace provides you with a secure, interactive learning environment that allows you to access a wealth of learning resources. In OpenSpace you can:
- Access all your course materials, including videos and other digital resources
- Complete the learning activities related to your course
- Get the latest news about Open Colleges and your course
- Connect with your Trainers and Assessors
- Access extensive online libraries for research
- Upload your assessments, view feedback, and access your grades
- Get to know your fellow students by posting in the course forums, and find a 'Study Buddy'
It’s just like a real campus – but it’s available anywhere and anytime.
How to get support
The Learning Support team will be with you every step of the way, from enrolment to graduation. They are here to help you get the most out of your online course. They can assist by providing non-academic support - like helping you craft an achievable study plan so that you can graduate in a realistic timeframe. If you’re finding it tough to stay motivated throughout your course, they’ll be there to help keep you on track.
Your experienced trainers are available in OpenSpace to answer any questions you may have regarding the learning materials or assessments.
Your training operations manager can also provide you with advice and support regarding the overall course.
The student support team is your one-stop service centre for all student administrative issues – including enrolment, change of contact details, OpenSpace support, assessment results and certification.
You can access the student support team in OpenSpace or by email or phone
Work Placement Support
If your course contains work placement, the work placement support team can provide you with support, advice and resources if you encounter difficulties in securing a workplace for your work placement.
You can access the work placement support team via your trainer and assessor or the student support team.
About Open Colleges
Our history and heritage
Open Colleges has been delivering quality education for over 125 years. During this time, we have honed our unique learning model to become one of Australia’s leaders in online learning.
We’ve achieved this by continuously evolving our approach to meet the needs of our learners by offering flexible, accessible, affordable and supportive courses.
We have helped over 450,000 people in the last decade alone gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
All of us at Open Colleges put the student at the centre of everything we do, whether that’s helping you find the right course, designing a new course, making improvements to our online campus or giving the support you need to reach your goals.
Commitment to quality
With Open Colleges you can:
- Study nationally recognised qualifications
- Choose from a wide variety online courses
- Fit study around your family or work commitments
- Enrol 365 days of the year
- Find a payment option that works for you
- Get academic and student support – online or over the phone
- Join a community of thousands of like-minded students
Get in touch
Still got a question?
Call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details about this course and the enrolment process.
It’s our priority to ensure you enrol in the right course so an Education Advisor will be in touch shortly to discuss your specific goals and what you want to achieve through studying online. They’ll clearly explain the course options that would suit you best and why they would work for you and talk you through how online learning with Open Colleges works.