Learn to harness the power of social networks for marketing and brand awareness with the 10118NAT Diploma of Social Media Marketing, the only nationally accredited marketing course that focuses solely on social media.
Why study this course?
- Created by industry leaders, including members of Forbes’ Top 50 global social media experts, this Diploma will give you the cutting edge skills and foundational knowledge you need to succeed in social media’s exciting and dynamic landscape.
- You’ll be setting up and managing social media accounts across a variety of channels, and you’ll graduate with an online portfolio of work that will showcase your strategic capability to employers.
- This course also includes a free 12-month student membership to the Australian Marketing Institute (AMI), the industry peak body for marketing professionals in Australia. You will be eligible for the membership once you successfully complete your first assessment.
- Open Colleges is the only VET provider which has been endorsed by the Australian Marketing Institute till date for this program.
- Social media marketing is one of the fastest-growing industries and an increasingly vital skill-set. Take advantage of Social Media's true potential to drive results for your business, career or employer.
- Hoping to study at Uni? Take advantage of Open Colleges' formal pathways into study at several universities, including SCU, Edith Cowan Uni, Uni SA and AIHE.
|Qualification name||10118NAT Diploma of Social Media Marketing|
|Course duration||Maximum 24 months|
|Recommended hours per week||13.0|
|Assessments||Case studies, Demonstrations, Knowledge tests, Presentations, Projects, Video|
|Awarded by||Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197)|
About the course
There has never been a better time to get qualified in this area. Social media marketing is booming! More and more businesses are turning to social media to harness its power, with spend in the sector growing an incredible 40% year on year. Jobs in the industry are also on the rise, with social media roles consistently increasing in the past few years.
Who this course is for
If you would like to accelerate your career and business in social media marketing, then this may just be the perfect course for you!
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes
- Communications Assistant
- Content Marketing Manager
- Social Media Community Manager
- Social Media Consultant
- Social Media Coordinator
- Social Media Marketing Manager
- Social Media Officer
What you'll learn
At the end of this course you will know how to:
- Develop a digital and social media marketing strategy.
- Create and execute a content marketing plan.
- Research, design and roll out a social media network strategy for both organic and paid advertising across platforms including:
- and more!
- Master your own personal brand on social media.
- Learn how to convert social media followers into paying customers.
- Craft and employ targeted email marketing strategy.
- Develop captivating content for a range of social media.
- Manage social media profiles and email marketing to increase brand awareness and increase revenue.
- Monitor and improve social media marketing effectiveness.
- Manage a team of social media professionals
The following resources are provided to you via OpenSpace:
- Case studies
- Further readings
- External links
This course includes course materials from:
Students of this course will receive a membership to these organisation(s)
RTO partnership information
This course is offered by Open Colleges on behalf of Integrated Care & Management Training (provider Number 90197)
Catherine Tumelty has been working in the Digital Marketing space for over 6 years, both in her former marketing role with a National Fitness Company as well as setting up and running many small online businesses of her own. She has a wealth of experience in setting up new businesses and promoting them in a way to ensure that they are a success from day one.
Catherine’s career has spanned many industries including HR, Hospitality, Education and Business Management. Catherine loves to combine her passion for education and the digital space by sharing her knowledge and experience with her students to ensure that they enjoy the Marketing industry as much as she does.
Michelle is a Social Media Marketing Guru with over 10 years’ experience in Social Media Management, Digital Marketing and Online Communications. She also has a strong background in digital engagement, content creation and creative design. Michelle currently works across a range of industries including sports fitness, not-for-profit, travel, professional services, industrial, construction, agriculture and chemistry.
Michelle completed a Diploma of Social Media Marketing, a Bachelor of Communications (Public Relations) and holds a Cert IV in Training and Assessment.
Once you are enrolled in this course, you will receive access to the first Module, which contains the first set of units for the course. When you have successfully completed those units, you'll be given access to the next Module.
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements.
Introduction to social media marketing
|SMMBCM501A||Plan, implement and manage blog and content marketing|
- Determine content marketing and blog requirements and opportunities
- Identify and select key content marketing and blog platform
- Develop a social media content marketing strategy and implementation plan
- Implement and manage the content marketing and blog strategy
Social media strategy and implementation
|SMMMSM502A||Plan, implement and manage mainstream social media marketing strategies|
- Determine social media marketing requirements and opportunities
- Identify and select social media marketing platforms
- Develop a social media content marketing strategy and implementation plan
- Implement and manage mainstream social media strategy
Beyond Facebook: growing social media channels
|SMMNSM503A||Plan, implement and manage niche social media marketing strategies|
- Determine niche social media marketing requirements and opportunities
- Identify and select key social media marketing networks
- Develop a niche social media marketing strategy and implementation plan
- Implement and manage niche social media strategies
Master your personal brand online
|SMMBPB504A||Establish and build a strong personal brand in social media|
- Determine social media marketing requirements and personal brand opportunities
- Develop a tailored personal brand strategy
- Implement and manage personal brand strategy
Social media marketing conversion and email marketing
|SMMEMS505A||Plan, implement and manage email marketing|
- Determine email marketing requirements and opportunities
- Develop an email marketing strategy and implementation plan
- Implement and evaluate effectiveness of email marketing strategy
The marketing mix
|BSBMKG502||Establish and adjust the marketing mix|
- Evaluate each component of marketing mix
- Determine marketing mix for specific markets
- Monitor and adjust marketing mix
Return on investment of marketing strategies
|BSBMKG522||Plan measurement of marketing effectiveness|
- Identify and analyse measurement of marketing effectiveness
- Develop strategy to measure marketing effectiveness
- Promote strategy to measure marketing effectiveness
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
- Define project
- Develop project plan
- Administer and monitor project
- Finalise project
- Review project
- Case studies
- Knowledge tests
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
The duration for the course is maximum 24 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a nationally recognised 10118NAT Diploma of Social Media Marketing from Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197).
You will need to have completed Year 12, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate III level or higher, OR
- Two years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course requires you to read learner workbooks, undertake a range of written assessments and engage in online discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 12 level.
If you have not successfully completed English at Year 12 level, you can demonstrate equivalency with one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; OR
- 2 years’ relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. To help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills required to study this course, you can undertake the online Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool available on the Open Colleges website. This assessment tool can also help you determine your learning level and plan your future studies.
You will need access to a computer and the internet and have basic computing skills. Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher
- Access to printer and associated software
- Access to scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
You will need access to:
- A digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, image and audio files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
- Software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc. are available as a free download from the internet.
You will require access to office equipment and resources including telephone, photocopier, scanner and printer.
To successfully complete this course, you will require basic computing skills. This includes:
- Creating, saving and editing Microsoft Office documents.
- Accessing and searching the internet.
- Downloading and saving documents from websites.
- Uploading documents through websites.
- Participating in online discussions.
- Compressing image files.
- Connecting digital cameras and downloading and storing images.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
Pay in Full
If you choose to pay your course fees up-front in full, you’ll benefit from a 15% discount (unless otherwise advertised).
Pay 50% Deposit
If you choose to pay 50% of your course fees up-front, you'll benefit from 50% of the standard (or advertised) discount.
Pay for your course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
ZipMoney Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility in your finances, and want to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, we can assist by organising ZipMoney to pay your course fees directly to us on your behalf, and you pay this loan back to ZipMoney over a period of agreed time with them. ZipMoney provides you flexible options of selecting a 24, 36 or 48 months interest-free payment plan (dependant on which course you are enrolling into) to suit your lifestyle, giving you more flexibility than ever before. This payment method is only available over the phone, call an Enrolment Consultant to find out more or check out the FAQs here.
With BPAY®, you’re able to pay quickly and securely, 24/7 through your Internet, mobile or phone banking service. You can choose when, how much and from which account to pay from - whatever works for you. BPAY® is only available when paying in full. Call an Enrolment Consultant to find out more.
BPAY® is a trademark of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518. Check if BPAY® is right for you by reading the terms and conditions available from your Financial Institution.
Studying online with Open Colleges
Flexibility - study at your own pace
When you study online with Open Colleges you’re in control.
You can choose to complete your course quickly or keep to a steady pace, and with no deadlines or schedules to stick to, fitting your learning around your everyday commitments is easy.
Everything you need to study is online so you can study wherever you like – but that doesn’t mean you’re on your own.
OpenSpace is our purpose-built online learning platform. It’s where you’ll go to access your learning materials, contact your expert trainers and assessors, upload your assessments and find all the support and motivation you need to keep going from the OC community.
Your online community
What is OpenSpace?
Open Colleges offers you a custom-designed online-learning platform called OpenSpace.
Your learning platform is the heart of your study experience. This is where you'll navigate through your course materials, contact your trainers and assessors, and connect with other online students.
What can you do in OpenSpace?
OpenSpace provides you with a secure, interactive learning environment that allows you to access a wealth of learning resources. In OpenSpace you can:
- Access all your course materials, including videos and other digital resources
- Complete the learning activities related to your course
- Get the latest news about Open Colleges and your course
- Get to know your fellow students by posting in the course forums, and find a 'Study Buddy'
- Connect with your Trainers and Assessors
- Access extensive online libraries for research
- Upload your assessments, view feedback, and access your grades
It’s just like a real campus – but it’s available anywhere and anytime.
How to get support
Your experienced trainers are available in OpenSpace to answer any questions you may have regarding the learning materials or assessments.
Your training operations manager can also provide you with advice and support regarding the overall course.
The student support team is your one-stop service centre for all student administrative issues – including enrolment, change of contact details, OpenSpace support, assessment results and certification.
You can access the student support team in OpenSpace or by email or phone.
As a student of Open Colleges you will join a community of over 65,000 people who are also studying online. Through OpenSpace you can connect and collaborate with others to share study tips and advice.
Our students find this is a great way to keep motivated and build lasting friendships and networks.
Work Placement Support
If your course contains work placement, the work placement support team can provide you with support, advice and resources if you encounter difficulties in securing a workplace for your work placement.
You can access the work placement support team via your trainer and assessor or the student support team.
About Open Colleges
Our history and heritage
Open Colleges has been delivering quality education for over 125 years. During this time, we have honed our unique learning model to become one of Australia’s leaders in online learning.
We’ve achieved this by continuously evolving our approach to meet the needs of our learners by offering flexible, accessible, affordable and supportive courses.
We have helped over 450,000 people in the last decade alone gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
All of us at Open Colleges put the student at the centre of everything we do, whether that’s helping you find the right course, designing a new course, making improvements to our online campus or giving the support you need to reach your goals.
Commitment to quality
December 2013 saw Open Colleges Australia (the holding company of Open Colleges Pty Ltd) become part of Apollo Education Group, Inc.
Being part of Apollo gives Open Colleges access to the expertise, experience and educational resources of the University of Phoenix (USA), Institute of Professional Development (USA), BPP University (UK) and other institutions in the Apollo global network.
Our ongoing partnerships and place within the Apollo family ensure we continue to deliver a student experience that’s best in class.
With Open Colleges you can:
- Study nationally recognised qualifications
- Choose from a wide variety online courses
- Fit study around your family or work commitments
- Enrol 365 days of the year
- Find a payment option that works for you
- Get academic and student support – online or over the phone
- Join a community of thousands of like-minded students
Get in touch
Still got a question?
Call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details about this course and the enrolment process.
It’s our priority to ensure you enrol in the perfect course so an Education Advisor will be in touch shortly to discuss your specific goals and what you want to achieve through studying online. They’ll clearly explain the course options that would suit you best and why they would work for you and talk you through how online learning with Open Colleges works.