Give your small business the best chance of success by equipping yourself with a working understanding of the major functions of running a business, including marketing, financial management, customer service, and strategic planning.
Why study this course?
- This course will help you to be a successful business owner and operator, by equipping you with a strong head for business, and the practical skills to put your knowledge to work.
- This nationally recognised course is taught by industry experts, and has been designed to match the needs of small business owners.
- You don’t have to wait until you graduate to put your learning into practice. The course has been designed so that you can apply your learning to your own small business immediately.
- Open Colleges’ flexible online study has been designed for busy people. There are no traditional classrooms, and no deadlines. You simply login to your virtual campus, OpenSpace, to access your lessons and learning materials when and where you want.
|Qualification name||BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business|
|Course duration||Maximum 24 months|
|Recommended hours per week||10.0|
|Qualification level||Certificate IV|
|Assessments||Audio/video recording of role plays, Case studies, Multiple choice questions, Portfolio, Presentations, Projects, Questions, Short-answer questions, Written reports|
|Awarded by||Open Colleges Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90796)|
About the course
Small businesses are booming in Australia, with over 2.1 million in operation across the country. These numbers are steadily increasing as more people are choosing to tread their own path and work for themselves.
Who this course is for
If you are thinking about starting your own business, but are unsure how to start, build or run one, then this course is perfect for you. You will learn the fundamentals of small business and will graduate with a strong set of skills, as well as the confidence to go out and make your business dreams a reality.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes
- Small Business Manager
- Small Business Owner
What you'll learn
The course will give you a rounded education in how to run a small business. During your study you will learn to:
- Create customer service strategies
- Understand customer needs
- Plan and report on your business finances
- Monitor and manage your business operations
- Master project work
- Understand and work within the legal and risk requirements of small business
- Market your small business
Your learning materials are accessed through OpenSpace. These include:
- Learner workbooks
- Learning activities
- Weblinks, readings and resources
- Videos and other digital resources
- News, discussions and live chats
Students of this course will receive a membership to these organisation(s)
Justin has 25 years’ experience in the IT industry mainly as a web based application developer and runs his own company which has developed more than a 100 web applications, database driven web sites, multimedia applications and semi connected desktop applications.
Justin is a prominent speaker and advocate of IoT (Internet of things) and is also the founder and organiser of IoT Sydney. Justin is also a mentor, V.P. Incubator and contributor to several projects at the ASF (Apache Software Foundation).
Masoud Tymouri, our business, human resources, management and occupational health and safety trainer, is highly experienced in training and assessing both local and international students. The expertise that Masoud has developed during 18-plus years of practical experience is supported by a lengthy list of qualifications. He has successfully completed a Master's of Leadership & Management in Education, Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Studies, Bachelor's of Business, Advanced Diploma of Management, Advanced Diploma of Management (Human Resources), Diploma of Occupational Health & Safety and Certificate IV in Workplace Training & Assessment. Masoud brings all his knowledge and experience to his training role at Open Colleges, and provides every support to his students throughout their learning experience.
Peter McClatchey has spent 23 years as a chartered accountant for PricewaterhouseCoopers. He has specialised in the financial services industry, providing accounting, audit and consulting services to a wide variety of industry leading superannuation, funds management and insurance clients. He has also been heavily involved in the development and delivery of accounting and audit training programs for all levels of staff. He has lived and worked in a variety of countries, including Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, India and Fiji, providing accounting and audit services.
Please note that the qualification BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business was superseded by the BSB42618 Certificate IV in New Small Business on the 26th of September 2018. Current students who will complete their course by the 27th of September 2020 will be issued the original qualification that they enrolled in. Students who are unlikely to complete their studies by 27th of September 2020, will be transitioned into the new version of the qualification.
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements.
- Develop and maintain business networks
- Establish and maintain business relationships
- Promote the relationship
|BSBSMB401||Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business|
- Identify and implement business legal documents
- Comply with legislation codes and regulatory requirements
- Negotiate and arrange contracts
|BSBCUS401||Coordinate implementation of customer service strategies|
- Advise on customer service needs
- Support implementation of customer service strategies
- Evaluate and report on customer service
|BSBCUS402||Address customer needs|
- Assist customers to articulate needs
- Satisfy customers' complex needs
- Manage networks to ensure customer needs are addressed
|BSBSMB402||Plan small business finances|
- Identify costs, calculate prices and prepare profit statement
- Develop a financial plan
- Acquire finance
|BSBFIA402||Report on financial activity|
- Compile financial information and data
- Prepare statutory requirement reports
- Provide financial business recommendations
|BSBSMB403||Market the small business|
- Develop marketing strategies
- Determine a marketing mix for the business
- Implement marketing strategies
- Monitor and improve marketing performance
|BSBSMB404||Undertake small business planning|
- Identify elements of the business plan
- Develop a business plan
- Develop strategies for minimising risks
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
- Define project
- Develop project plan
- Administer and monitor project
- Finalise project
- Review project
|BSBSMB405||Monitor and manage small business operations|
- Develop operational strategies and procedures.
- Implement operational strategies and procedures.
- Monitor business performance.
- Review business operations.
- Audio/video recording of role plays
- Case studies
- Multiple choice questions
- Short-answer questions
- Written reports
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
The duration for the course is maximum 24 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a nationally recognised BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business from Open Colleges Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90796).
Please note that the qualification BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business was superseded by the BSB42618 Certificate IV in New Small Business on the 26th of September 2018. Unless otherwise advised, current students who will complete their course within 12 months of that date will be issued the original qualification that they enrolled in. Students who enrol after this date, or are unlikely to complete their studies within 12 months, will be transitioned into the new version of the qualification.
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading and undertaking a range of written assessments, as well as engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to you by Open Colleges.
You will need access to a computer and the internet and have basic computing skills. Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher
- Access to printer and associated software
- Access to scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
- Learners will need access to software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc. are available as a free download from the internet.
- As well as access to digital video recording device and/or digital camera and associated software to save and upload video and image files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phone and smart phones include this technology and OpenSpace provided an in platform recording function.
You will need access to a digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, audio and image files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
You will also need access to software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc are available as a download from the internet.
Some assessments include a component for you to record an audio or video. The requirements for these vary depending on the assessment. If you are unable to conduct these in the workplace and this is a requirement of the assessment, you have the option of engaging with friends, family and other students to record this via other means, such as Skype.
To successfully complete this course, you will require basic computing skills. This includes:
- Creating, saving and editing Microsoft Office documents
- Accessing and searching the internet
- Downloading and saving documents from websites
- Uploading documents through websites
- Participating in online discussions
- Connecting digital cameras and downloading and storing images and audio files
- Connecting digital video devices and downloading and storing videos
- Compressing image, audio and video files.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
Pay in Full
If you choose to pay your course fees up-front in full, you’ll benefit from a 15% discount (unless otherwise advertised).
Pay 50% Deposit
If you choose to pay 50% of your course fees up-front, you'll benefit from 50% of the standard (or advertised) discount.
Pay for your course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
ZipMoney Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility in your finances, and want to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, we can assist by organising ZipMoney to pay your course fees directly to us on your behalf, and you pay this loan back to ZipMoney over a period of agreed time with them. ZipMoney provides you flexible options of selecting a 24, 36 or 48 months interest-free payment plan (dependant on which course you are enrolling into) to suit your lifestyle, giving you more flexibility than ever before. This payment method is only available over the phone, call an Enrolment Consultant to find out more or check out the FAQs here.
With BPAY®, you’re able to pay quickly and securely, 24/7 through your Internet, mobile or phone banking service. You can choose when, how much and from which account to pay from - whatever works for you. BPAY® is only available when paying in full. Call an Enrolment Consultant to find out more.
BPAY® is a trademark of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518. Check if BPAY® is right for you by reading the terms and conditions available from your Financial Institution.
Studying online with Open Colleges
Flexibility - study at your own pace
When you study online with Open Colleges you’re in control.
You can choose to complete your course quickly or keep to a steady pace, and with no deadlines or schedules to stick to, fitting your learning around your everyday commitments is easy.
Everything you need to study is online so you can study wherever you like – but that doesn’t mean you’re on your own.
OpenSpace is our purpose-built online learning platform. It’s where you’ll go to access your learning materials, contact your expert trainers and assessors, upload your assessments and find all the support and motivation you need to keep going from the OC community.
Your online community
What is OpenSpace?
Open Colleges offers you a custom-designed online-learning platform called OpenSpace.
Your learning platform is the heart of your study experience. This is where you'll navigate through your course materials, contact your trainers and assessors, and connect with other online students.
What can you do in OpenSpace?
OpenSpace provides you with a secure, interactive learning environment that allows you to access a wealth of learning resources. In OpenSpace you can:
- Access all your course materials, including videos and other digital resources
- Complete the learning activities related to your course
- Get the latest news about Open Colleges and your course
- Get to know your fellow students by posting in the course forums, and find a 'Study Buddy'
- Connect with your Trainers and Assessors
- Access extensive online libraries for research
- Upload your assessments, view feedback, and access your grades
It’s just like a real campus – but it’s available anywhere and anytime.
How to get support
Your experienced trainers are available in OpenSpace to answer any questions you may have regarding the learning materials or assessments.
Your training operations manager can also provide you with advice and support regarding the overall course.
The student support team is your one-stop service centre for all student administrative issues – including enrolment, change of contact details, OpenSpace support, assessment results and certification.
You can access the student support team in OpenSpace or by email or phone.
As a student of Open Colleges you will join a community of over 65,000 people who are also studying online. Through OpenSpace you can connect and collaborate with others to share study tips and advice.
Our students find this is a great way to keep motivated and build lasting friendships and networks.
Work Placement Support
If your course contains work placement, the work placement support team can provide you with support, advice and resources if you encounter difficulties in securing a workplace for your work placement.
You can access the work placement support team via your trainer and assessor or the student support team.
About Open Colleges
Our history and heritage
Open Colleges has been delivering quality education for over 125 years. During this time, we have honed our unique learning model to become one of Australia’s leaders in online learning.
We’ve achieved this by continuously evolving our approach to meet the needs of our learners by offering flexible, accessible, affordable and supportive courses.
We have helped over 450,000 people in the last decade alone gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
All of us at Open Colleges put the student at the centre of everything we do, whether that’s helping you find the right course, designing a new course, making improvements to our online campus or giving the support you need to reach your goals.
Commitment to quality
December 2013 saw Open Colleges Australia (the holding company of Open Colleges Pty Ltd) become part of Apollo Education Group, Inc.
Being part of Apollo gives Open Colleges access to the expertise, experience and educational resources of the University of Phoenix (USA), Institute of Professional Development (USA), BPP University (UK) and other institutions in the Apollo global network.
Our ongoing partnerships and place within the Apollo family ensure we continue to deliver a student experience that’s best in class.
With Open Colleges you can:
- Study nationally recognised qualifications
- Choose from a wide variety online courses
- Fit study around your family or work commitments
- Enrol 365 days of the year
- Find a payment option that works for you
- Get academic and student support – online or over the phone
- Join a community of thousands of like-minded students
Get in touch
Still got a question?
Call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details about this course and the enrolment process.
It’s our priority to ensure you enrol in the perfect course so an Education Advisor will be in touch shortly to discuss your specific goals and what you want to achieve through studying online. They’ll clearly explain the course options that would suit you best and why they would work for you and talk you through how online learning with Open Colleges works.