Step up into management positions with a solid set of high-level administration and leadership skills that will get you noticed, with this accredited dual leadership and business administration qualification.
Why study this course?
This dual qualification will provide you with a strong set of team management skills that you can use to foster happy and productive working environments.
You will understand how to effectively provide high level administrative, strategic planning and operational support. Your knowledge will extend across financial management, operational planning, reporting, meeting and travel arrangements, WHS and communications.
The practical design of this course means that you don’t have to wait till you graduate to start using what you learn, you can apply your learning immediately.
When you complete your first module, you will also receive a 12-month affiliate membership with the Institute of Managers and Leaders (previously known as the Australian Institute of Management). IML is a key industry membership organisations for managers at a variety of levels. IML membership offers many benefits, such as access to e-newsletters, blogs, events, and online resources.
|Qualification name||BSB40515 Certificate IV in Business Administration and BSB42015 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management|
|Course duration||24 months|
|Qualification level||Certificate IV|
|Assessments||Portfolio of evidence, Projects, Questions, Video, Written reports|
|Awarded by||Open Colleges Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90796)|
About the course
Business administration is very stable career. In Australia, jobs in this area have maintained a slow and steady growth rate. Looking to the future, new jobs and turnover from workers leaving could generate up to 25,000 job openings between now and 2020.
Who this course is for
This course is perfect if you are already working in a business administration role, and are now looking to step up into leadership and management positions. When you graduate, you can work in a number of roles, including Accounts Administrator, Accounts Team Leader, Executive Personal Assistant, Leading Hand and Project Assistant/Leader.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes
- Accounts Administrator
- Accounts Team Leader
- Executive Personal Assistant
- Leading Hand
- Project Assistant/Leader
What you'll learn
During your study, you will learn to:
- Put an operational plan into action
- Report on financial activity
- Write complex documents
- Organise meetings and travel arrangements
- Implement and monitor WHS policies and procedures
- Effectively communicate with and lead employees
- Develop work priorities
- Manage workplace information systems
- Build a team environment that encourages innovation
- Continually improve business operations
Your learning materials are accessed through OpenSpace. These include:
- Learner workbooks
- Online discussions
- Additional activities
- Rich media - video resources and web links
Students of this course will receive a membership to these organisation(s)
Holly is an enthusiastic and dedicated professional with close to 20 years’ experience in business administration, account management, marketing and print. She has also been working within the education and training industry since 2013, in both a face-to-face and online capacity, and is passionate about the power of education.
Holly holds a Bachelor of Commerce, Diploma of Business Administration, Diploma of Business, Diploma of Marketing Communication, Diploma of Social Media Marketing, Certificate IV in Training & Assessment and a Certificate III in Printing & Graphic Arts.
Peter McClatchey has spent 23 years as a chartered accountant for PricewaterhouseCoopers. He has specialised in the financial services industry, providing accounting, audit and consulting services to a wide variety of industry leading superannuation, funds management and insurance clients. He has also been heavily involved in the development and delivery of accounting and audit training programs for all levels of staff. He has lived and worked in a variety of countries, including Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, India and Fiji, providing accounting and audit services.
Rosalie Pellew has over 30 years' experience in customer engagement; workplace training and assessment; facilitating adult education; leading and coaching customer contact teams; and supporting on-line learning students.
Rosalie’s experience spans various industries from retail and telecommunication to food production. Rosalie has been in vocational education for the past 10 years.
Pursuing her passion for adult education, Rosalie refocused into student services to assist students through their learning journey. She holds a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, Diplomas in Teaching, Adult Education, Leadership & Management and Business Administration.
Currently CEO of an international training organisation, Simon has almost 15 years of leadership and management experience in the vocational education sector. This includes all levels of operations and management, within regulated learning environments. Specialising in team leadership, quality, compliance and governance as well as the facilitation of training and assessment.
Simon holds a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (specialising in leading and managing people) from Southern Cross University. His experience includes leading teams of education professionals to achieve business success. This includes leading the development of accredited training materials and assessment tools, project management and risk assessment, the development and implementation of policy frameworks and managing the facilitation of accredited and non-accredited training programs to domestic and international students.
Suellen has a broad range of experience in both auditing and accounting, including managing her own business and co-authoring two accounting text books in introductory accounting and financial accounting.
Suellen has been in education for over 30 years, working with students nationally and internationally. Currently, she is self-employed as Treasurer of her Body Corporate and is actively involved in the accounting process of her building management.
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements.
- Make meeting arrangements
- Prepare and distribute documentation for meetings
- Record and produce minutes of meeting
|BSBADM406||Organise business travel|
- Organise business itinerary for domestic and overseas travel
- Make travel arrangements
- Arrange credit facilities
|BSBWHS401||Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs to meet legislative requirements|
- Provide information to the work team about WHS policies and procedures
- Implement and monitor participation arrangements for managing WHS
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures for providing WHS training
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures and legal requirements for identifying hazards and assessing and controlling risks
- Implement and monitor organisational procedures for maintaining WHS records for the team
|BSBMGT401||Show leadership in the workplace|
- Model high standards of management performance and behaviour
- Enhance organisation's image
- Make informed decisions
|BSBLDR403||Lead team effectiveness|
- Plan to achieve team outcomes
- Lead team to develop cohesion
- Participate in and facilitate work team
- Liaise with management
|BSBINN301||Promote innovation in a team environment|
- Create opportunities to maximise innovation within the team
- Organise and agree upon effective ways of working
- Support and guide colleagues
- Reflect on how the team is working
|BSBMGT403||Implement continuous improvement|
- Implement continuous improvement systems and processes
- Monitor and review performance
- Provide opportunities for further improvement
|BSBMGT402||Implement operational plan|
- Implement operational plan
- Implement resource acquisition
- Monitor operational performance
|BSBINM401||Implement workplace information systems|
- Identify and source information needs
- Collect, analyse and report information
- Implement information systems
- Prepare for information system changes
|BSBWRT401||Write complex documents|
- Plan documents
- Draft text
- Prepare final text
- Produce document
|BSBFIA401||Prepare financial reports|
- Maintain asset register
- Record general journal entries for balance day adjustments
- Prepare final general ledger accounts
- Prepare end of period financial reports
|BSBFIA412||Report on financial activity|
- Compile and analyse financial data
- Prepare reports
- Provide financial business recommendations
|BSBLDR402||Lead effective workplace relationships|
- Collect, analyse and communicate information and ideas
- Develop trust and confidence as leader
- Develop and maintain networks and relationships
- Manage difficulties into positive outcomes
|BSBLDR401||Communicate effectively as a workplace leader|
- Identify context for communication
- Clarify message and engage communication
- Take follow-up actions
- Portfolio of evidence
- Written reports
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
The duration for the course is 24 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a nationally recognised BSB40515 Certificate IV in Business Administration and BSB42015 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management from Open Colleges Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90796).
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading and undertaking a range of written assessments, as well as engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to you by Open Colleges.
Hardware and software requirements:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Printer and associated software
- Scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software.
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher.
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher.
You will need access to software to view online videos and images, such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, which are available as a download from the internet.
You will need access to:
- A digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, image and audio files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
- Software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc. are available as a free download from the internet.
You will need access to a digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, audio and image files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
You will also need access to software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc are available as a download from the internet.
Some assessments include a component for you to record an audio or video. The requirements for these vary depending on the assessment. If you are unable to conduct these in the workplace and this is a requirement of the assessment, you have the option of engaging with friends, family and other students to record this via other means, such as Skype.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
Pay in full
If you pay your course fees up-front in full, you’ll benefit from a discount. When you pay in full, we don’t have to spend extra money on administration for tasks such as payment plan processing. Instead, we get to pass this saving onto you in the form of a discount.
zipMoney Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility in your finances, and want to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, we can assist by organising zipMoney to pay your course fees directly to us on your behalf, and you pay this loan back to ZipMoney over a period of agreed time with them. zipMoney provides you flexible options of selecting a 24, 36 or 48 months interest-free* payment plan (dependant on which course you are enrolling into) to suit your lifestyle, giving you more flexibility than ever before.
Pay for your course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
Studying online with Open Colleges
Flexibility - study at your own pace
When you study online with Open Colleges you’re in control.
You can choose to complete your course quickly or keep to a steady pace, and with no deadlines or schedules to stick to, fitting your learning around your everyday commitments is easy.
Everything you need to study is online so you can study wherever you like – but that doesn’t mean you’re on your own.
OpenSpace is our purpose-built online learning platform. It’s where you’ll go to access your learning materials, contact your expert trainers and assessors, upload your assessments and find all the support and motivation you need to keep going from the OC community.
Your online community
What is OpenSpace?
Open Colleges offers you a custom-designed online-learning platform called OpenSpace.
Your learning platform is the heart of your study experience. This is where you'll navigate through your course materials, contact your trainers and assessors, and connect with other online students.
What can you do in OpenSpace?
OpenSpace provides you with a secure, interactive learning environment that allows you to access a wealth of learning resources. In OpenSpace you can:
- Access all your course materials, including videos and other digital resources
- Complete the learning activities related to your course
- Get the latest news about Open Colleges and your course
- Get to know your fellow students by posting in the course forums, and find a 'Study Buddy'
- Connect with your Trainers and Assessors
- Access extensive online libraries for research
- Upload your assessments, view feedback, and access your grades
It’s just like a real campus – but it’s available anywhere and anytime.
How to get support
Your experienced trainers are available in OpenSpace to answer any questions you may have regarding the learning materials or assessments.
Your training operations manager can also provide you with advice and support regarding the overall course.
The student support team is your one-stop service centre for all student administrative issues – including enrolment, change of contact details, OpenSpace support, assessment results and certification.
You can access the student support team in OpenSpace or by email or phone.
Online Community Support Officers
Your friendly in-platform support officers help students make the most out of their OpenSpace learning experience through managing the discussion forums, providing orientation and study skill webinars, and one-to-one support calls.
As a student of Open Colleges you will join a community of over 65,000 people who are also studying online. Through OpenSpace you can connect and collaborate with others to share study tips and advice.
Our students find this is a great way to keep motivated and build lasting friendships and networks.
Work Placement Support
If your course contains work placement, the work placement support team can provide you with support, advice and resources if you encounter difficulties in securing a workplace for your work placement.
You can access the work placement support team via your trainer and assessor or the student support team.
About Open Colleges
Our history and heritage
Open Colleges has been delivering quality education for over 125 years. During this time, we have honed our unique learning model to become one of Australia’s leaders in online learning.
We’ve achieved this by continuously evolving our approach to meet the needs of our learners by offering flexible, accessible, affordable and supportive courses.
We have helped over 450,000 people in the last decade alone gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
All of us at Open Colleges put the student at the centre of everything we do, whether that’s helping you find the right course, designing a new course, making improvements to our online campus or giving the support you need to reach your goals.
Commitment to quality
December 2013 saw Open Colleges Australia (the holding company of Open Colleges Pty Ltd) become part of Apollo Education Group, Inc.
Being part of Apollo gives Open Colleges access to the expertise, experience and educational resources of the University of Phoenix (USA), Institute of Professional Development (USA), BPP University (UK) and other institutions in the Apollo global network.
Our ongoing partnerships and place within the Apollo family ensure we continue to deliver a student experience that’s best in class.
With Open Colleges you can:
- Study nationally recognised qualifications
- Choose from over 100 online courses
- Fit study around your family or work commitments
- Enrol 365 days of the year
- Find a payment option that works for you
- Get academic and student support – online or over the phone
- Join a community of thousands of like-minded students
Get in touch
Still got a question?
Call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details about this course and the enrolment process.
It’s our priority to ensure you enrol in the perfect course so an Education Advisor will be in touch shortly to discuss your specific goals and what you want to achieve through studying online. They’ll clearly explain the course options that would suit you best and why they would work for you and talk you through how online learning with Open Colleges works.