Average wage for
Around 58,600 people are currently employed as Marketing and Communications Professionals in Australia. This is set to increase to 70,900 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
38.6% of all Marketing and Communications Professionals are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Marketing and Communications Professionals is NT, with only 0.1%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 38.8% of Marketing and Communications Professionals being male and 61.2% female.
The most popular age for people working as Marketing and Communications Professionals is 25-34 years old, with 41.9%. A small percentage (2.7%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Marketing and Communications Professionals, with 8.8% aged 20-24.
Marketing and Communications Professionals work an average of 40.3 hours a week which is 0.6 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Marketing and Communications Professionals have a Bachelor Degree qualification (47.3%) or are at a Post Graduate/ Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate level (21%). 84.7% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 15.3% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Marketing and Communications Professional Duties & Tasks
- Plan, develop and organise advertising campaigns to accomplish sales goals.
- Give advice to clients on advertising options and campaigns to reach target markets and heighten customer awareness.
- Co-ordinate others in producing advertising campaigns involving photography, copywriting, media scripting, media production and placement, on time and on budget.
- Interpret data regarding customer behaviour and preferences.
- Analyse and forecast current and future market trends.
- Investigate possible markets for new goods and services.
- Create and conduct marketing objectives, policies and programs.
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.