How to Turn a Button into a Beaded Brooch
Here’s a super simple and effective craft project that can be done in 5 minutes and can totally transform an accessory. Watch the video and follow our instructions below.
Want to revitalise a bag, scarf, or pair of sandals? This beaded button can form the basis of a great DIY project, or stand alone as a statement brooch.
Watch the video below to see fashion trainer Mimma Gatto’s easy-to-follow beading technique, then scroll down for more detailed instructions. Endlessly versatile and using materials you probably already have around the house, there’s no reason not to give this beading tutorial a try.
- Needle and thread
- A large button
- Assorted beads (we used large crystals and smaller pearl beads)
- Brooch pin (optional)
Step by step:
- Loop the needle through the button holes and tie a knot.
- Keeping your button secured, add your centre bead. Making sure that the needle is on the front side of the button, place the bead you’d like to use as the centrepiece onto your thread. Loop the needle through the holes of the bead a few times to secure it.
- Slide 6 – 8 pearls onto the thread (depending on the size of your button) and arrange them around the centre bead in a flower-like shape.
- Pull the needle through the hole of the first bead and make it secure by threading the needle back through the buttonhole. Then tie off your thread.
- Glue the button onto the brooch pin if desired. Otherwise, you could make a few buttons and glue them to shoes to create a pair of embellished flats, or sew them onto shirts or jackets as statement buttons. Feel free to get creative!