Average wage for
Around 8,200 people are currently employed as Catering Operations Managers in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 9,000 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
36.9% of all Catering Operations Managers are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Catering Operations Managers is NT, with only 0.8%.
This is an evenly split industry with 51.1% of Catering Operations Managers being male and 48.8% female.
The most popular age for people working as Catering Operations Managers is 25-34 years old, with 25.1%. A small percentage (6.1%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Catering Operations Managers, with 10.6% aged 55-59.
Catering Operations Managers work an average of 46.8 hours a week which is 5.9 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Catering Operations Managers have a Year 12 qualification (26%) or are at a Years 11 & 10 level (16.4%). 52.9% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 47.1% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Catering Operations Manager Duties & Tasks
- Promoting conferences, conventions and trade shows to potential customers
- Responding to inquiries concerning services provided and costs for room and equipment hire, catering and related services
- Meeting with clients to discuss their needs and outlining package options to meet these needs
- Arranging and coordinating services, such as conference facilities, catering, signage, displays, audio-visual equipment, accommodation, transport and social events, for participants
- Organising registration of participants
- Negotiating the type and costs of services to be provided within budget
- Overseeing work by contractors and reporting on variations to work orders
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.