Average wage for
Around 13,000 people are currently employed as Studio Assistants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 14,200 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
34.5% of all Studio Assistants are employed in VIC. The area with the lowest number of Studio Assistants is ACT, with only 0.8%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 40.1% of Studio Assistants being male and 59.9% female.
The most popular age for people working as Studio Assistants is 35-44 years old, with 30%. A small percentage (5.4%) of people get into this career path older, aged 55-59. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Studio Assistants, with 9.1% aged 20-24.
Studio Assistants work an average of 43.9 hours a week which is 3 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Studio Assistants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (41.4%) or are at a Year 12 level (17.1%). 82.8% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 17.2% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Studio Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Greet customers and set appointments.
- Perform administration work such as inventory management and invoicing.
- Set up lights and other necessary equipment.
- Develop prints by using photographic chemicals or processing film.
- Process pictures for digital enhancement.
- Entertain children or other difficult clients between photo shoots.
- Organise records and files.
- Clean the studio after sessions.
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.