Average wage for
There are currently 148 700 people employed as Procurement Managers in Australia. According to the Department of Employment over the next 5 years (up until the year 2018) there will be more than 2000 additional job openings within this profession.
Employment by State
The majority of Procurement Managers are employed within NSW. There are a higher proportion of Procurement Managers in VIC and QLD than the average for all occupations, while the population in SA, TAS, NT and ACT is close to the national average.
This is a male dominated industry. 20.5% of Procurement Managers are female and 79.5% are male.
The median age for Procurement Managers is 44 years. Procurement Managers are 4 years older than the average age for all occupations.
Procurement Managers work an average of 44.4 hours a week. This is 4.3 hours more per week than the average for all occupations.
The majority of workers employed in this profession have at least a Year 10 qualification. 28% of Procurement Managers have a qualification that is Certificate III or higher while 53.4% have a qualification that is Year 12 or lower.
Procurement Manager Duties & Tasks
- Determining, implementing and monitoring purchasing, storage and distribution strategies, policies and plans
- Preparing and implementing plans to maintain required stock levels at minimum cost
- Negotiating contracts with suppliers to meet quality, cost and delivery requirements
- Monitoring and reviewing storage and inventory systems to meet supply requirements and control stock levels
- Operating recording systems to track all movements of supplies and finished goods, and ensuring re-ordering and re-stocking at optimal times
- Liaising with other departments and customers concerning requirements for outward goods and associated forwarding transportation
- Overseeing the recording of purchase, storage and distribution transactions
- Directing staff activities and monitoring their performance
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.