Average wage for
Around 10,800 people are currently employed as Soft Furnishing Consultants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 12,400 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
33.4% of all Soft Furnishing Consultants are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Soft Furnishing Consultants is TAS, with only 0.6%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 17.6% of Soft Furnishing Consultants being male and 82.4% female.
The most popular age for people working as Soft Furnishing Consultants is 25-34 years old, with 37.1%. A small percentage (4%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Soft Furnishing Consultants, with 6% aged 55-59.
Soft Furnishing Consultants work an average of 45 hours a week which is 4.1 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Soft Furnishing Consultants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (53.4%) or are at a Certificate III/IV level (31.5%). 84.9% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 15.1% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Soft Furnishing Consultant Duties & Tasks
- Visit locations to investigate requirements.
- Offer suggestions for ways that items could improve room acoustics and function.
- Maintain contacts with suppliers and stay abreast of current styles.
- Take measurements and order products.
- Install items in spaces and follow-up to ensure that client is happy with the outcome.
- Work with interior decorators and architects to create harmonious environments.
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.