Average wage for
Around 507,900 people are currently employed as Retail Assistants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 566,200 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
30.4% of all Retail Assistants are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Retail Assistants is NT, with only 0.7%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 32.7% of Retail Assistants being male and 67.3% female.
The most popular age for people working as Retail Assistants is 15-19 years old, with 30.4%. A small percentage (4.7%) of people get into this career path older, aged 55-59. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Retail Assistants, with 11.1% aged 45-54.
Retail Assistants work an average of 37.3 hours a week which is 3.6 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Retail Assistants have a Year 12 qualification (36.7%) or are at a Years 11 & 10 level (29.4%). 25.2% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 74.8% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Retail Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Determine customer needs and advise on product range, price, delivery, warranties, use and care.
- Demonstrate and explain to customers the company's goods and services.
- Sell products and services.
- Take payment for goods and services through a variety of methods, and give invoices.
- Assist with stock management through product inventories and participating in stocktakes.
- Organise and display items for sale.
- Wrap and package items once sold.
- Take and process returns as required.
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.