Average wage for
Around 39,200 people are currently employed as Retail Pharmacy Assistants in Australia. This is set to decrease slightly to 38,400 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
30.4% of all Retail Pharmacy Assistants are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Retail Pharmacy Assistants is NT, with only 0.3%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 7.4% of Retail Pharmacy Assistants being male and 92.7% female.
The most popular age for people working as Retail Pharmacy Assistants is 15-19 years old, with 28.6%. A small percentage (4.9%) of people get into this career path older, aged 55-59. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Retail Pharmacy Assistants, with 11.7% aged 35-44.
Retail Pharmacy Assistants work an average of 37.2 hours a week which is 3.7 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Retail Pharmacy Assistants have a Year 12 qualification (35.9%) or are at a Years 11 & 10 level (29.4%). 28.5% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 71.5% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Retail Pharmacy Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Accepting and filling pharmaceutical prescriptions
- Advising customers on the selection, price and usage of non-prescription medicines
- Advising customers on the correct application and storage of medicines
- Selling goods such as non-prescription drugs, first aid supplies, toiletries and cosmetics
- Accepting payment for goods and services
- Assisting with the ongoing management of stock and product inventories
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.