Average wage for
Around 46,100 people are currently employed as Team Leaders in Australia. This is set to increase to 55,400 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
33.8% of all Team Leaders are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Team Leaders is NT, with only 1.4%.
This is a very male dominated industry with 69.9% of Team Leaders being male and 30.1% female.
The most popular age for people working as Team Leaders is 35-44 years old, with 33.4%. A small percentage (3.2%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Team Leaders, with 10.8% aged 55-59.
Team Leaders work an average of 41.9 hours a week which is 1 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Team Leaders have a Bachelor Degree qualification (28.2%) or are at a Post Graduate/ Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate level (26.9%). 87.5% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 12.5% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Team Leader Duties & Tasks
- Planning policy, and setting standards and objectives for organisations
- Providing day-to-day direction and management of organisations, and directing and endorsing policy to fulfil objectives, achieve specific goals, and maximise profit and efficiency
- Assessing changing situations and responding accordingly by issuing commands and directives to subordinate staff
- Consulting with immediate subordinates and departmental heads on matters such as methods of operation, equipment requirements, finance, sales and human resources
- Authorising the funding of major policy implementation programs
- Representing the organisation at official occasions, in negotiations, at conventions, seminars, public hearings and forums, and liaising between areas of responsibility
- Preparing, or arranging for the preparation of, reports, budgets and forecasts, and presenting them to governing bodies
- Selecting and managing the performance of senior staff
- May undertake responsibility for some or all of accounting, sales, marketing, human resources and other specialist operations
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.