Average wage for
There are currently 48 100 people employed as Project Assistant/Leaders in Australia. According to the Department of Employment over the next 5 years (up until the year 2018) there will be more than 9 000 additional job openings within this profession. The demand is expected to be high.
Employment by State
The majority of Project Assistants are employed within NSW. There are a higher proportion of Project Assistants in VIC and WA than the average for all occupations, while the population in SA, TAS, NT and ACT is close to the national average.
This is a female dominated industry. 53.9% of Project Assistants are female and 46.1% are male.
The median age for Project Assistants is 32 years. Project Assistants are 8 years younger than the average age for all occupations.
Project Assistants work an average of 37.4 hours a week. This is 2.7 hours less per week than the average for all occupations.
The majority of workers employed in this profession have at least a Year 10 qualification. 31.3% of Project Assistants have a qualification that is Certificate III or higher while 51.1% have a qualification that is Year 12 or lower.
Project Assistant/Leader Duties & Tasks
- Liaising with other staff on matters relating to the organisation's operations
- Researching and preparing reports, briefing notes, memoranda, correspondence and other routine documents
- Maintaining confidential files and documents
- Attending meetings and acting as secretary as required
- Maintaining appointment diaries and making travel arrangements
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, filing correspondence and maintaining records
- Screening telephone calls and answering inquiries
- Taking and transcribing dictation of letters and other documents
- May supervise other secretarial and clerical staff
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.