Average wage for
Around 124,900 people are currently employed as Office Administrators in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 127,500 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
33.2% of all Office Administrators are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Office Administrators is NT, with only 1.4%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 19.4% of Office Administrators being male and 80.6% female.
The most popular age for people working as Office Administrators is 45-54 years old, with 32.3%. A small percentage (3.9%) of people get into this career path older, aged 65 and over. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Office Administrators, with 12.2% aged 55-59.
Office Administrators work an average of 38.7 hours a week which is 2.2 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Office Administrators have a Years 11 & 10 qualification (28.3%) or are at a Year 12 level (17.7%). 52.7% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 47.3% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Office Administrator Duties & Tasks
- Contributing to the planning and review of office services, and setting priorities and office service standards
- Allocating human resources, space and equipment
- Assigning work to and monitoring work performance of staff
- Managing records and accounts of the office
- Liaising with Professionals to coordinate office business and to facilitate resolution of problems
- Managing physical facilities and ensuring buildings and equipment are maintained
- Ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
- Ensuring work complies with relevant government legislation, policies and procedures
- Coordinating personnel activities such as hiring, promotions, performance management, payroll, training and supervision
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.