Average wage for
Around 27,600 people are currently employed as Fitness Instructors in Australia. This is set to increase to 35,500 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
35% of all Fitness Instructors are employed in VIC. The area with the lowest number of Fitness Instructors is NT, with only 0.3%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 43.6% of Fitness Instructors being male and 56.4% female.
The most popular age for people working as Fitness Instructors is 25-34 years old, with 31.1%. A small percentage (4.5%) of people get into this career path younger, aged 15-19. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Fitness Instructors, with 14.5% aged 45-54.
Fitness Instructors work an average of 42.6 hours a week which is 1.7 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Fitness Instructors have a Certificate III/IV qualification (35.8%) or are at a Year 12 level (26%). 71.1% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 28.9% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Fitness Instructor Duties & Tasks
- Developing and designing fitness programs
- Assessing a clients’ fitness levels, goals and abilities
- Delivering group exercise classes
- Demonstrating and teaching body movements and skills used in fitness routines
- Setting up and monitoring fitness equipment/ ensuring that equipment is safe, clean and in good working condition
- Ensuring clients are aware of and adhere to safety and injury prevention procedures
- Maintaining a working knowledge of current health and safety standards and ensuring working practices and procedures conform to current legislation
- Maintaining current first aid certificates
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.