Average wage for
Around 9,500 people are currently employed as Fashion Design Assistants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 10,600 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
41.5% of all Fashion Design Assistants are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Fashion Design Assistants is NT, with only 0%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 39.6% of Fashion Design Assistants being male and 60.4% female.
The most popular age for people working as Fashion Design Assistants is 25-34 years old, with 28%. A small percentage (2.3%) of people get into this career path older, aged 65 and over. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Fashion Design Assistants, with 12.8% aged 45-54.
Fashion Design Assistants work an average of 42.5 hours a week which is 1.6 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Fashion Design Assistants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (35.8%) or are at a Advanced Diploma/Diploma level (31.6%). 79% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 21% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Fashion Design Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Research the objectives and constraints of the design brief as directed by the head designer
- Undertake product research and investigating all requirements of function and environment
- Assist with design concepts for clothing and textiles
- Prepare diagrams and sketches, as well as samples, to illustrate design concepts
- Negotiate design needs with customers and manufacturing staff
- Recommend appropriate materials and production methods for garments
- Detail and document the selected design for manufacture
- Collect and deliver samples and liaising with fashion editors
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.