Average wage for
Around 49,600 people are currently employed as Indigenous Youth Workers in Australia. This is set to increase to 62,800 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
32.4% of all Indigenous Youth Workers are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Indigenous Youth Workers is ACT, with only 1.6%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 25.6% of Indigenous Youth Workers being male and 74.3% female.
The most popular age for people working as Indigenous Youth Workers is 45-54 years old, with 27.4%. A small percentage (5.2%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Indigenous Youth Workers, with 12.3% aged 55-59.
Indigenous Youth Workers work an average of 36.6 hours a week which is 4.3 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Indigenous Youth Workers have a Bachelor Degree qualification (32.6%) or are at a Certificate III/IV level (22.2%). 84% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 16% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Indigenous Youth Worker Duties & Tasks
- Assess young people to understand their needs
- Deliver programmes to inform young people on matters such as smoking, health and relationships
- Support individuals by mentoring and coaching them along the way
- Work in partnership with other professionals from organisations who can also provide help and support
- Monitor young people regularly to make sure they are receiving the right level of support
- Attend regular training to maintain up-to-date knowledge of various topics
- Administrative tasks, making sure records are kept up-to-date
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.