Average wage for
There are currently 32 900 people employed as Retail Mangers in Australia. According to the Department of Employment over the next 5 years (up until the year 2018) there will be more than 5 000 additional job openings within this profession. The demand is expected to be high.
Employment by State
The majority of people working in marketing are employed within NSW. There are a higher proportion of Accountants in VIC and QLD than the average for all occupations, while the population in SA, TAS, NT and ACT is close to the national average.
This is a female dominated industry. 58% of people who work in retail are female and 42% are male.
The median age for people working in retail is 41 years. People working in retail are 1 year older than the average age for all occupations.
People who work in Retail work an average of 39.6 hours a week. This is 0.5 hours less per week than the average for all occupations.
The majority of workers employed in this profession have at least a Year 12 qualification. 27.8% of Retail professionals have a qualification that is Certificate III or higher while 52.3% have a qualification that is Year 12 or lower.
Retailing Duties & Tasks
- Determining product mix, stock levels and service standards
- Formulating and implementing purchasing and marketing policies, and setting prices
- Promoting and advertising the establishment's goods and services
- Selling goods and services to customers and advising them on product use
- Maintaining records of stock levels and financial transactions
- Undertaking budgeting for the establishment
- Controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
- Ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.