Average wage for
There are currently 23 700 people employed in Logistics in Australia. According to the Department of Employment over the next 5 years (up until the year 2018) there will be more than 2 000 additional job openings within this profession.
Employment by State
The majority of people working in logistics are employed within NSW. There are a higher proportion of people working in logistics in VIC and QLD than the average for all occupations, while the population in SA, TAS, NT and ACT is close to the national average.
This is a male dominated industry. 41.6.1% of people who work in logistics are female and 58.4% are male.
The median age for people working in logistics is 44 years. People working in logistics are 4 years older than the average age for all occupations.
People who work in Logistics work an average of 37.6 hours a week. This is 2.5 hours less per week than the average for all occupations.
The majority of workers employed in this profession have at least a Year 10 qualification. 26.4% of Logistics professionals have a qualification that is Certificate III or higher while 54.4% have a qualification that is Year 12 or lower.
Logistics Duties & Tasks
- Requisitioning supplies from stock and sending orders to production departments and other firms
- Confirming completion of orders and compliance with details specified, signing tally sheets and attaching to checked items
- Receiving and checking purchase requests against inventory records and stock on hand
- Examining orders and compiling data for production schedules
- Checking inventories and preparing delivery schedules
- Examining containers to ensure that they are filled and recording quantities
- Investigating and identifying supply sources and preparing and processing purchase orders
- Providing price and other information about goods to prospective customers
- Counting incoming stock and reconciling it with requisitions, and updating inventory and stock location records
- Establishing and coordinating the operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing and shipping goods
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.