Average wage for
Around 35,600 people are currently employed as Customer Service Advisors in Australia. This is set to decrease slightly to 35,300 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
37.7% of all Customer Service Advisors are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of Customer Service Advisors is NT, with only 0.7%.
This is a very male dominated industry with 55.7% of Customer Service Advisors being male and 44.3% female.
The most popular age for people working as Customer Service Advisors is 35-44 years old, with 36.2%. A small percentage (4.5%) of people get into this career path older, aged 55-59. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Customer Service Advisors, with 6.1% aged 20-24.
Customer Service Advisors work an average of 41.2 hours a week which is 0.3 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Customer Service Advisors have a Year 12 qualification (35.1%) or are at a Advanced Diploma/Diploma level (18.4%). 53.8% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 46.2% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Customer Service Advisor Duties & Tasks
- Developing and reviewing policies, programs and procedures concerning customer relations and goods and services provided
- Ensuring operational efficiency within a call centre
- Providing direction and feedback to team members and assisting with recruitment
- Managing, motivating and developing staff providing customer services
- Planning and implementing after-sales services to follow up customer satisfaction, ensure performance of goods purchased, and modify and improve services provided
- Liaising with other organisational units, service agents and customers to identify and respond to customer expectations
- May work in a call centre
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.