Average wage for
There are currently 41 400 people employed as Administrators in Australia. According to the Department of Employment over the next 5 years (up until the year 2018) there will be more than 5 000 additional job openings within this profession.
Employment by State
The majority of Administrators are employed within NSW. There are a higher proportion of Administrators in VIC and QLD than the average for all occupations, while the population in WA, SA, TAS, NT and ACT is close to the national average.
This is a female dominated industry. 84.1% of Administrators are female and 15.9% are male.
The median age for Administrators is 42 years. Administrators are 2 years older than the average age for all occupations.
Administrators work an average of 37.4 hours a week. This is 2.7 hours less per week than the average for all occupations.
The majority of workers employed in this profession have at least a Year 10 qualification. 31.3% of Administrations have a qualification that is Certificate III or higher while 51.1% have a qualification that is Year 12 or lower.
Administration Duties & Tasks
- Contributing to the planning and review of office services, and setting priorities and office service standards
- Allocating human resources, space and equipment
- Assigning work to and monitoring work performance of staff
- Managing records and accounts of the office
- Liaising with Professionals to coordinate office business and to facilitate resolution of problems
- Managing physical facilities and ensuring buildings and equipment are maintained
- Ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
- Ensuring work complies with relevant government legislation, policies and procedures
- Coordinating personnel activities such as hiring, promotions, performance management, payroll, training and supervision
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.