What is Cybersecurity?
In today’s ever-evolving world, we have become more and more reliant on technology in our every day lives. While technology has undoubtedly made our lives easier, it has also opened organisation and individuals up to attacks from cybercriminals.
Cybersecurity is the practice of maintaining and protecting hardware and software from cyber-attacks.
Why study Open Colleges’ online Certified Cybersecurity Professional course?
Cybersecurity is a growing, global industry. As we have mentioned before in other articles, this is an industry that currently has 0% unemployment.¹ What this means is that there are more jobs than there are qualified Cybersecurity experts to fill them.
Studying a Cybersecurity course means that you will be able to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to begin a career in Cybersecurity and join a rapidly growing industry at a time when there is huge demand for skilled workers.
Open Colleges’ partnership Certified Cybersecurity Professional course is designed to prepare you for an entry-level role in the Cybersecurity industry.
In this course, you’ll learn:
- the foundational skills you need to begin a career in cybersecurity;
- how to diagnose and resolve common hardware and software issues;
- how to scan for vulnerabilities;
- how to identify different types of malware and security risks, and how to prevent an attack;
- how to implement a strong network architecture;
- how to configure, manage and maintain essential network devices; and
- hands-on skills while competing against your classmates and other people around the world in hacking simulations.
Why study a Cybersecurity course online?
Studying online gives you more study options. With online study, you have the flexibility to study whenever and wherever it suits you. This could be at home during your down time, while you’re on your way to work, or your favourite coffee shop.
One of the best things about studying Open Colleges’ partnership Certified Cybersecurity Professional course is that you get to study with a cohort of other students.
The Certified Cybersecurity Professional course has set start dates. This means that you start on the same day as a group of other like-minded students who you can study with, support, and compete against.
Benefits of online study
- Study whenever it suits, wherever you are (you just need a device and an internet connection).
- You can fit your study around your existing home/work commitments.
- There’s no commuting to and from classes, so you save time and money on transport.
- Support is always just a phone call (or an email, instant message, or video chat) away.
- Online study is usually more cost-effective than on-campus training and you receive the same quality of training.
- You can still bounce ideas off other students – usually in a dedicated forum or social media group.
What kind of jobs are available in Cybersecurity?
Roles within the Cybersecurity industry are varied and require different levels of experience and training.
Some people may break into the Cybersecurity industry as a Cybersecurity Analyst or a Junior Penetration Tester, or they might transition from a more traditional IT role.
For more on jobs in Cybersecurity, check out our Top 10 emerging careers in Information Technology article as well as our How to land the best jobs in Cybersecurity article.
You can also check out our Career stats and salary article for more in-depth info about what it’s like working as a Cybersecurity Analyst.
Are you ready to begin a career in Cybersecurity?
If you’re ready to take the next exciting step towards your career in Cybersecurity, then head to our Certified Cybersecurity Professional course page to learn more.
Just remember, this course has set intake dates. So make sure you don’t miss out on the next start date!
1. Source: “Cybersecurity employment rate drops to 0%”, www.cybersecurityventures.com.
2. Source: “SCP - Chapter 3 - The challenge: Australia needs to fill the workforce gap, remove startup barriers and strengthen research and development”, www.austcyber.com.