Leadership is all about standing on the shoulders of giants and much wisdom has been imparted from those that have come (and succeeded) before us.
From taking smart risks to harnessing your courage and leading with heart, here are some sage words from the best leaders of the last century; helping you build your own lasting legacy today.
1. “Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.”
- Sara Blakey, founder of Spanx and America’s richest self-made woman
2. “’Restore connection’ is not just for devices, it is for people too. If we cannot disconnect, we cannot lead. Creating the culture of burnout is opposite to creating a culture of sustainable creativity.”
- Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post
3. "What you do has far greater impact than what you say."
- Steven Covey, author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
4. “My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.”
- Oprah Winfrey, media tycoon
5. "The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humour, but without folly."
- Jim Rohn, entrepreneur, author and motivational speaker.
6. "Efficiency is doing the thing right. Effectiveness is doing the right thing.”
- Peter Drucker, business authority
7. "My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better."
- Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Inc
8. "Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work."
- Seth Godin, marketing expert
9. ”To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart."
- Eleanor Roosevelt, politician, diplomat, and activist
Who inspires you?
Unlock your leadership potential by researching Business Careers here.