Average wage for
Around 6,400 people are currently employed as Dietetic Assistants in Australia. This is set to increase slightly to 7,200 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
33.2% of all Dietetic Assistants are employed in QLD. The area with the lowest number of Dietetic Assistants is TAS, with only 0.5%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 3.7% of Dietetic Assistants being male and 96.3% female.
The most popular age for people working as Dietetic Assistants is 25-34 years old, with 53.5%. A small percentage (0%) of people get into this career path younger, aged 15-19. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Dietetic Assistants, with 8.5% aged 55-59.
Dietetic Assistants work an average of 32.5 hours a week which is 8.4 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Dietetic Assistants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (56.8%) or are at a Post Graduate/ Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate level (43.2%). 100% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 0% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Dietetic Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Advise individuals, community groups and educational institutions on healthy eating patterns; provide sample diets and menus
- Conduct research on nutrition and food as it relates to communities, cultural and ethnic groups
- Determine nutritional values of foods; interpret best foods for particular needs or illnesses
- Generate educational literature on healthy eating habits for different age and interest groups, as well as nutritional components of food and beverages
- Meet with individuals to conduct nutrition assessments; manage nutritional health goals
- Research illnesses and diseases relating to nutrition
- Work with healthcare professionals to supplement health treatments and recommendations with dietary planning
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.