5 reasons to start a career in disability services

by Jessica Hamilton

** This article was last updated on March 2020**

A career in disability services is like no other. You’re helping someone live their best life, and there aren’t too many industries where you can say that. But how do you know if it’s the right career path for you? Here are five signs that now might be a good time for you to start a career in disability services…

career in disability career change

You’re ready for a new challenge

When you wake up in the morning, are you excited to go to work? Do you feel inspired? Perhaps it may be time to start thinking about a change of career. While it can be a daunting prospect, there’s nothing more exciting than opening yourself up to new opportunities. If you’re looking for a career than inspires you, challenges you and makes you want to get out of bed every morning, disability services is an ideal choice.

When you work in disability services, you have a profound impact on someone’s life. You’re providing care and support to someone who needs it most and helping them to become more independent and confident in their own abilities. Every day is a chance to do something different and make a difference.

You want to help people

We all want our work to mean something and have an impact, however small. If you’re feeling like the work you do is no longer as rewarding as it once was, and you want to make more of a valuable contribution, it may be time to switch gears. Perhaps you’ve always been someone who has taken on a caregiver role with the people in your life, or maybe you like to motivate others and thrive on social contact. A career in disability services is a great way to harness those skills – and your desire for change – to help others.

fulfilling career in disability

Your life has changed

Perhaps you’ve had a life change recently, whether that’s starting a new family, relationship or moving to a new area. Whatever it is, you’ve realised that your priorities have changed. What you used to value in a job is now different, and your job no longer matches your lifestyle.

If you’re looking for more flexibility and choice in how, where and when you work, a career in disability services can provide just that. As a Disability Services Worker, chances are, you will most likely be doing shift work, which means you can throw out the typical 9-5 desk job and replace it with something that fits into your lifestyle. You will have more flexibility to choose the shifts and days you want to work.

You want to do more

Do you feel like your skills are being utilised to their full potential in your current career? Are you being challenged enough to feel fulfilled?

Working in the disabilities services industry, each day is different from the next. You’re constantly being challenged and learning something new – about yourself and the people in your care. You could be doing anything from facilitating group outings for the people in your care to helping with daily household chores. You could be creating programs to help your clients develop their own skills and abilities, or simply just being a shoulder to lean on. You’ll be meeting new people and having new experiences all the time. Most importantly, you’ll be pushing yourself to do better every day, to get the best possible outcome for your clients. If one thing is for certain, you will never be bored!

career in disability services rewarding

Job security is important to you

There are currently 4 million Australians living with a disability (source).And if job security is important to you, this is one industry that can offer you reliability and room for growth. According to the Department of Education, Skills and Employment, there will be approximately 245,000 jobs Australia wide by 2023.

This is largely being driven by Australia’s ageing population and the implementation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). There is also an increasing demand for childcare and homecare services. So, the conditions are ideal for anyone looking to get into this sector, especially when it comes to job security.

There are also lots of different paths you could take with a career in disability services, from a Behavioural Support Officer in a respite centre to a Disability Support Worker or a Senior Personal Care Assistant in a group home.

Does any of this sounds familiar to you? Now might be the time to start that rewarding career you’ve always wanted. And disability services could be the perfect place to start!

Interested in a career in disability services?

Study one of Open Colleges’ disability courses and you can learn the skills and knowledge you need to make a difference in your clients’ lives.

You can also choose to study at our South Australia or Western Australia campuses, combining theory with practical experience.

Find out more about your new rewarding career path today.

Open Colleges School of Health‘s Certificate IV in Disability will give you the skills and knowledge you need to make a difference in your client’s lives. You can study in our South Australia or Western Australia campus, combining theory with practical experience. So, find out more about your new rewarding career path today.

4 Responses

1. Thanks for mentioning how disability caregivers work be very skilled. I also like how you said that they should motivate others as well. My husband and I are looking into disability caregivers; thanks for your post.

2. My cousin is disabled, and its always been an inspiration for me to get a career in disability services. Your article had some great points why I should get a career in disability services, and I liked how you said that this line of work allows a person to help people and make a valuable contribution to society. I’ve always wanted to have a caregiver role, so I’ll keep this in mind when looking into disability support services.

3. LAUREN says:

Good article,this post are very motivating to the career guidelines students

4. Narelle King says:

My name’s is Narelle King I’ve been a carer for 25 years currently I work at St Andrews for the pass 8 years before I started working with St Andrews facility I was a carer with agency care on call I was with them for the pass 10 years I have 2 I have 2 grandchildren a grandson And granddaughter autistic I help my daughter raise her son my daughter I was finding it hard I’m being a single mum I give up working to help her my grandson is 13 years old now my position out St Andrews is working and dementia unit but my dream was always working with disability I am I’m a mother 6 children 8 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren it will be a pleasure till work with people that needs why helps and I take great pride in my job