From the ambulance service to business: Rita’s career change

by Jessica Hamilton

Life has a way of working out at the just right time. For Rita, a former ambulance service worker, turned Business Administrator, this couldn’t be more true.

In her 50s and struggling to cope with the physical demands of her job as an ambulance worker after a back injury, Rita knew it was time for a change.

Rita wanted a career that would better suit her lifestyle. She also wanted to utilise her Training and Assessment (TAE) qualification, and combine her passion for Human Resources (HR), marketing and business administration. She enrolled in the Diploma of Business with Open Colleges and hasn’t looked back since.

Determined to return to study

No stranger to online study, Rita had already completed an Associate Diploma], and was halfway through her Diploma, when she had to cancel her studies due to personal circumstances. Fast forward a few years, and Rita was determined to finally complete her Diploma and kick start her new career in business.

Rita chose Open Colleges for the flexibility that online study offered. She was particularly attracted to the quality and depth of content in the course.

“When I started researching providers, Open Colleges came up and the course offered exactly what I wanted to do,” explains Rita.

“I thought for the price and the depth and quality of the course content, no-one could beat it. That, combined with the great support on offer, were the main reasons I really liked and appreciated studying with Open Colleges.”

Getting the support she needed to succeed

The Diploma of Business equips students with the skills they need to work in a business environment, learning everything from project management to human resources, general administration, as well as the specifics of conducting business online.

Rita excelled in the course. She put all that she had into understanding everything there was to know about each subject. She pushed herself to do better every day and it was this commitment, self-discipline and dedication to her studies that saw her succeed.

“My proudest moment was getting my first High Distinction,” says Rita.

“To be honest, I just enjoyed learning, and there was so much to learn. I sought feedback from the Trainers and Assessors, and I attended online tutorials so I could ask questions and learn as much as possible. I really stretched myself to achieve.”

And it paid off. “At the end of the day, I wanted to be able to show a potential employer the level of work I did and the time and commitment I put into my studies, to show I could do the same in my job. I believe I have now learnt enough to secure a lower management-level position, and Open Colleges has supported me to reach that level.”

Rita credits part of her success to the support of the Trainers and Assessors.

“My Trainer, Charu, was fantastic. I can’t speak highly enough of her. She helped me get back on track when I was struggling. The online tutorials she ran were so helpful – I don’t know if I would have achieved as much as I did, if not for her tutorials. They were the best thing Open Colleges did to assist people [like me] who are learning online.”

Business, bikes and beyond

Having only recently finished her Diploma of Business, Rita already has her foot in the door. She’s volunteering her time and new-found skills to help an innovative, start-up business get off the ground.

The company, based in the Sunshine Coast, offers eco-friendly bikes (electric bikes) for hire. People can use these to get around and ride to work instead of taking a car. The owner also runs free tours around the Sunshine Coast to let people experience the bikes for themselves.

Rita is hoping to turn her newly-acquired business skills into an exciting job opportunity. She’s working with the owner on marketing and promotion, as well as managing the day-to-day administrative duties.

“The business is growing exponentially and there’s potential to expand into other areas. Plus, it suits my lifestyle at the moment, as I have the flexibility to do my work from home, or anywhere. I am really enjoying it.”

Not one to rest on our laurels, Rita is also actively pursuing other job opportunities, hoping to get into a role that combines business administration with marketing.

A passion to help

Rita’s story is unique, as is her thirst and passion for life. When she’s not working, she’s enjoying the outdoors and taking every opportunity make a difference where she can.

“After working in the ambulance service, I realise that life is so precious. So many of us take it for granted that tomorrow will come. I try to get up every day and enjoy the moment and live in the now.”

With this zest for life, also comes a desire to help others. Rita is committed to sharing her business skills and expertise with others. She’s keen to get involved with mentoring other students studying business online.

“I love motivating people to be the best they can be.”

Are you ready for a change?

Turn your passion for business into a challenging and rewarding career. Enrol in the Diploma of Business today and get the all-round skills needed to succeed in the modern business world, from project management to human resources, administration and how to conduct business online.