Online finance & accounting students get exclusive access to industry experts

by Yvette Maurice

Studying a course online means that your study is self-paced & there are no classes to attend. However, Open Colleges recently invited students from across the country to attend the Faculty of Finance and Accounting Conference.

Melinda Arko is the Head of the Faculty of Finance and Accounting and has years of experience in the private sector and as a trainer in accounting and finance. She understands the importance of making sure her students remain connected to their studies with occassional opportnities for face-to-face contact with industry experts.

Ms Arko organised the conferences and said students were eager to meet other students and learn about the industry.

“The drawcard of the event was to hear from the Tax Practitioners Board and network with industry experts,” she said.

Open Colleges was joined by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers and presented the conferences in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

Speakers included Rick Van Dyk and Tanya Spence from the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers; the Director of iAssist; and David Bates, Managing Director from Workforce Guardian.

internal-3

Students came from many different areas to get together to hear industry experts speak

Emma Cooper attended the Sydney conference in May as part of the FNS50210 Diploma of Accounting.

“I was interested in meeting the course coordinators and industry representatives,” Emma said. “The conference provided insight into new technologies, how to take the next step in my career, and moving into employment.”

internal-screen

A talk from the Tax Practitioners Board held the audience’s attention

The presentations covered core finance and accounting subjects as well as changes to the finance and accounting industry and essential compliance updates for bookkeepers. Students who attended were able to ask questions and this may have assisted them with completing core units more quickly.

To watch a video of the conference, go to Open Colleges’ YouTube page. Click here

The employment market for accounting and finance professionals is expected to continue growing as businesses complete for the best services. Melissa Broomfield is currently doing bookkeeping for the family business but wants to broaden her future career opportunities.

“I want to continue on and become an accountant and work for myself,” Melissa said. To get there, Melissa enrolled in the Accounting Pathway Program that is unique to Open Colleges. “(Open Colleges) is excellent online learning and well organised. The trainers are very supportive and approachable.”

And, she said, the Finance and Accounting Conference is an added bonus.

accounting-trainer

It was great for the students to meet face-to-face with their online trainers and assessors

“(The conference) was excellent to touch base on current and upcoming new tax obligations,” Melissa said. “Meeting other students benefits my studies – it helps to keep me on track and focused.”

Some students, like Karen Giles, are already working in the industry but need formal qualifications. Karen is enrolled in the FNS40211 Certificate IV in Bookkeeping and wants to start her own bookkeeping, BAS (Business Activity Statement) and tax agent business.

“(The conference) has given me more confidence to move forward and achieve my goals,” she said.

accounting-student-internal

Many online students are excited about potentially entering the accounting and finance industries

For Karen, online study is perfect because it’s flexible and she can study at home.

Studying online does not need to be a lonely experience, and conferences like this are a great opportunity for students to discuss subjects and share tips.

“It was definitely good to meet other students,” said Karen. “I’m not able to study at an attending college due to work commitments, so it was good to have discussions with other students.”

Fellow student Deb Esquilant agrees.

“[The conference] has given me great tips to expand my business and continue my study,” she said. “It was great to meet other students and share experiences.”

Deb has been running her own bookkeeping business for years but is looking to expand. “I am already working as a BAS agent and I wish to increase my knowledge and education.”

She is enrolled in the Bridging Course for Bookkeepers, a custom-designed course that provides a pathway from the Certificate IV in Bookkeeping to the Diploma of Accounting.

“I’m on the fast track to the Diploma of Accounting,” she said.

accounting-1-internal

The talks were informative and interactive, so online students could ask questions and get feedback

Another student, Jan Mandelson, has never worked in the tax or finance industry before and is looking for a career change. Jan is new to the FNS40611 Certificate IV in Accounting but thought the conference was too good an opportunity to be missed.

“This was above my learning limit, having not seen a BAS before, however I will benefit greatly from today when I reach this section of the course,” he said.

Robert Pattie enrolled in the FNS50210 Diploma of Accounting to formalise his qualifications and take his career in a new direction.

“My current role is in business management but my interest is in finance,” he said.

accounting-internal

Events were held in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, with further events planned for the near future

“(Online study) is great: it fits with my lifestyle, is a professional learning environment and is helping me to progress in my career.”

Once he has completed his Diploma, Robert hopes to progress to a Bachelor Degree in Finance.

“[The conference] has given me more knowledge and confidence with my studies,” Robert said. “The trainers have been excellent – most helpful. Thanks for a great day!”

Want to find out more?

Whether you’re new to accounting and finance or an industry veteran, there is a course that’s right for you at Open Colleges.

Please head to the Open Colleges website for more information about any of the Accounting and Finance courses.