While this Open Colleges course is primarily for students who wish to learn about floral design for personal interest, the skills you will gain are equally applicable in a professional setting.
As well as flower care, handling and selection, this course covers the principles of traditional and contemporary floral design. Tools and techniques are explained in detail, and you will learn to produce appropriate arrangements for specific celebratory, festive and solemn occasions. Complimentary florist tools and equipment and a range of floral items are included to help you create your own unique designs and arrangements.
- Course number
- Course duration
- Max 18 months
- Course fees from
- $43.89 per week
- Open Colleges Certificate
- Delivery mode
- Nationally recognised
11 practical/creative assessments, 11 multiple choice exams
- Awarded By
- Open Colleges
- Life of cut flowers, keeping them fresh
- Economising when flowers are scarce
Introduction to floral design and flowers
- Floral design concepts from the past and modern design
- Opportunities for professional floral designers
- Care and handling procedures for different flowers
- Appropriate flowers for specific arrangements
Basic tools of floral design
- Wiring techniques
- Growing areas for different flowers
- Elements and principles of design
- Colour theory
- Flower and colour combinations for various floral arrangements
Introduction to design techniques
- Major floral design styles and techniques
Design styles: part I
- Design techniques
- Ikebana, Western Line, Hogarth, Formal Linear
Design styles: part II
- Vegetative, landscape, new convention, abstract designs
- New wave, waterfall and hand-tied designs
Wedding and body flowers
- Flower consultants' role in wedding preparation
- Bouquets and corsages
- Bridal bouquets and other accessories
- Role of floral funeral consultant
- 'Casket spray'
- Varieties of roses and rose arrangements
- Fresh Christmas arrangements
- Working with artificial Christmas material
- Valentine's Day flowers and arrangements
- Attractive gift baskets
- Table centrepiece design
- Cut flowers
Open entry. Previous schooling and academic achievements are not required for entry into this course.
Minimum age of 16 years. If you are under 18 your application must be signed by a parent or guardian.
Students will need access to a computer and the internet. For students who do not have access to either a computer or the internet please contact a student support officer to discuss alternative methods of communication.
Minimum specifications for the computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2003 or equivalent, and
- Microsoft Windows 98, or
- Mac OS X, and
- CD-ROM drive.
Students will also need access to a printer and the following applications:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader and
- Macromedia Flash player.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language and you did not complete the last two years of secondary education in English, you are required to provide evidence of English language competency before enrolling into the course. Examples of appropriate evidence are listed below:
IELTS Overall score of 5.5 TOEFL 530 (paper), 197 (computer) or 71 (internet) 12 months in English-speaking employment Testimonial, statutory declaration
You will need to have your own flowers and other materials to create floral arrangements, and a camera in order to submit photos of your designs for assessment.
Upon completion of this course, you will have developed a better understanding of the subject area and be able to put your new skills into practice
Specially selected florist tools and equipment are provided along with a range of floral items to assist you in practising your floral design skills.
Valued at over $250!
|Pay by installment||Pay in full|
Enrol Online via EduPay - the Trusted and Secure enrolment gateway preferred by thousands of students.
Fortnightly and monthly payment plans are also available when you pay online.
Click Enrol Now and choose a payment plan or call a Course and Careers Advisor on 1300 853 033 for more details. Prices shown are for the online study option only. A surcharge applies for the print study option (if applicable to this course).
|Pay Just $43.89 per week with a $100.00 deposit||Pay in full $1428.00 and Save $252.00|