This course is suitable for both beginners and more experienced illustrators and artists who seek to enhance their illustration skills through formal education.
You will learn how to draw a range of subjects, from flowers and the natural world to people and fantasy creatures. You will also discover techniques for effectively applying shapes, perspective and proportions in your illustrations, as well as the secrets to professional-looking line drawings and portraits. The course includes valuable information about how to apply your artistic skills if you are interested in developing your interest in illustration beyond a hobby.
- Course number
- Course duration
- Max 18 months
- Course fees from
- $43.89 per week
- Open Colleges Certificate
- Delivery mode
- Nationally recognised
12 drawing assessments
- Awarded By
- Open Colleges
- Art Materials and what is available for the artist today
- Art and drawing supplies and what to look for
- Setting up your work area
- What different pens and drawing pencils draw like
- Examples of pens and some out-liners and fine-liners and how they look on paper
- About shapes in art
- Using basic shapes for shape composition
- Drawing an optical illusion called \refraction
An introduction to common floral shapes
- Learning the basic rules and fundamentals of drawings
- A note about tone and shading
The importance of perspective in art
- A look at proportion in figure drawing (grids and proportion)
- Basic human anatomy
- How to draw hands
Drawing portraits of people
- A boy and his pet rabbit portrait
- A mother and child portrait
- Helpful stick-figures
- Black and white line
Black and white line drawing
- Making a drawing grid to scale
- Grid sizes and measurements
- Adding a character to draw onto your grid
- A detailed line drawing of a frilled-neck lizard
Artistic methodology and applied technique
- Your turn to be the art critic
- Pencil or monotone drawing
The natural world
- Explore and discover some of the many wonders of seeing, sketching and creating drawings from the wonderful world of insects, plants, flowers and nature in general.
Drawing animal portraits
- The Sumatran tiger
- White tiger in the snow portrait
- The jaguar sitting in a tree
- Jaguar portrait: face
- Tiger portrait: face
- Leopard Portrait: face
- Drawing small animal portraits
- The baby wood-duck portrait
- The wood-duck portrait
- The rabbit portrait
- The fairy penguin portrait
- The peregrine falcon portrait
- The barn-owl portrait
- The kitten portrait
- The fluffy dog portrait
- The royal family pet portrait
The wonderful world of fantasy art
- Fairies and elves
- Unicorns and wonderful winged horses
- How to draw dragons
- The baby dragon or hatchlings
- The mother dragoon
- The fun dragon
- The snacker dragon
- How to preserve your drawings
- What to do with your new artistic skills
- Art materials
Open entry. Previous schooling and academic achievements are not required for entry into this course.
Minimum age of 16 years. If you are under 18 your application must be signed by a parent or guardian.
Students will need access to a computer and the internet. For students who do not have access to either a computer or the internet please contact a student support officer to discuss alternative methods of communication.
Minimum specifications for the computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2003 or equivalentand
- Microsoft Windows 98or
- Mac OS Xand
- CD-ROM drive.
Students will also need access to a printer and the following applications:
- Adobe Acrobat Readerand
- Macromedia Flash player.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language and you did not complete the last two years of secondary education in English, you are required to provide evidence of English language competency before enrolling into the course. Examples of appropriate evidence are listed below:
IELTS Overall score of 5.5 TOEFL 530 (paper), 197 (computer) or 71 (internet) 12 months in English-speaking employment Testimonial, statutory declaration
There are no additional requirements for this course.
Upon completion of this course, you will have developed a better understanding of the subject area and be able to put your new skills into practice.
|Pay by installment||Pay in full|
Enrol Online via EduPay - the Trusted and Secure enrolment gateway preferred by thousands of students.
Fortnightly and monthly payment plans are also available when you pay online.
Click Enrol Now and choose a payment plan or call a Course and Careers Advisor on 1300 853 033 for more details. Prices shown are for the online study option only. A surcharge applies for the print study option (if applicable to this course).
|Pay Just $43.89 per week with a $100.00 deposit||Pay in full $1428.00 and Save $252.00|