You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading and undertaking a range of written assessments, as well as engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to by Open Colleges.
Learners will need to have proficient computing skills to undertake this course. This includes the ability to:
- Use the computer, mouse and keyboard with proficiency in skills required to integrate software packages, save files and search the internet
- Use the computer and design software (Adobe Creative Suite) for creating designs
- Attach and use peripheral devices such as a scanner, digital camera, media storage (e.g., flash drive for design storage)
- Scan hand drawn conceptual images
- Save a compressed file (.zip)
- Save a PDF File
- Learners that do not possess these skills will be directed to undertake a relevant Open Colleges Skill Builder course.
Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2007 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 4GB of RAM – 8GB is recommended
- 15GB available hard disc space for installation; additional free space is required during installation.
- 1280 x 800 display (1280 x 1024 recommended) with 16 – bit colour and 512 MB of V RAM
Mac OS users:
- Mac OS X v 10.6.8 or v 10.7
- Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Intel Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
- Open GL 2.0 – capable system
- Java Runtime Environment 1.6
- QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for HTML 5 media playback and multimedia features
- Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files
You will need access to:
- A digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, image and audio files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
- Software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc. are available as a free download from the internet.
This course requires the use of design industry software. You will need access to the Adobe Creative Suite, which can be purchased on subscription through the Adobe Creative Cloud (ACC). The ACC subscription is not included in the course fee. Student subscriptions are available at a reduced price. Refer to the Adobe website www.adobe.com.au.
To complete this course you will need:
- Access to an A3 and A2 printer or photocopier
- Access to a high resolution colour printer and scanner
- Bic #2 retractable and refillable pencils
- Drawing paper (A3 and A4)
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.