Average wage for
Around 60,200 people are currently employed as IT Help Desk Officers in Australia. This is set to increase to 75,100 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
37.2% of all IT Help Desk Officers are employed in NSW. The area with the lowest number of IT Help Desk Officers is NT, with only 0.2%.
This is a very male dominated industry with 80.6% of IT Help Desk Officers being male and 19.4% female.
The most popular age for people working as IT Help Desk Officers is 35-44 years old, with 39%. A small percentage (0.8%) of people get into this career path older, aged 65 and over. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as IT Help Desk Officers, with 6.9% aged 55-59.
IT Help Desk Officers work an average of 41.6 hours a week which is 0.7 hours higher than the average for all occupations.
The majority of IT Help Desk Officers have a Bachelor Degree qualification (37.1%) or are at a Post Graduate/ Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate level (23.5%). 83.7% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 16.3% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
IT Help Desk Officer Duties & Tasks
- Analysing information needs and specifying technology to meet those needs
- Formulating and directing information and communication technology (ICT) strategies, policies and plans
- Directing the selection and installation of ICT resources and the provision of user training
- Directing ICT operations and setting priorities between system developments, maintenance and operations
- Overseeing the security of ICT systems
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.