Average wage for
Around 12,800 people are currently employed as Occupational Therapy Assistants in Australia. This is set to increase to 17,500 people by 2019, according to the Department of Employment.
Employment by State
29.4% of all Occupational Therapy Assistants are employed in VIC. The area with the lowest number of Occupational Therapy Assistants is ACT, with only 0.3%.
This is a very female dominated industry with 11.9% of Occupational Therapy Assistants being male and 88.1% female.
The most popular age for people working as Occupational Therapy Assistants is 25-34 years old, with 31.7%. A small percentage (3.9%) of people get into this career path older, aged 60-64. There is also a number of people who enjoy a career as Occupational Therapy Assistants, with 11.7% aged 45-54.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work an average of 34.2 hours a week which is 6.7 hours lower than the average for all occupations.
The majority of Occupational Therapy Assistants have a Bachelor Degree qualification (67.2%) or are at a Year 12 level (12.5%). 87.5% of people have a Cert III or higher, whilst 12.5% have a qualification which is Year 12 or lower.
Occupational Therapy Assistant Duties & Tasks
- Assess physical and mental abilities of individuals to determine realistic rehabilitation goals
- Assist clients in finding and securing jobs
- Choose activities that will help individuals learn life-management skills
- Collaborates with other professionals regarding an individual’s overall case management
- Provides adaptive equipment, such as an enlarged keyboard, to help individuals function more effectively in their home and work environment
Professional Associations & Groups
*The information provided on this page is from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website. All salary ranges are from Payscale. Where jobs are not exact matches, job areas have been used. This information is to be used as a guide only.
Get a Free Course Guide
Enter your details below to receive a free course guide and a consultation with an Education Advisor.