Reasons I went to counselling

by Amanda Collins

Counselling is a way to offload your problems, to sort through issues, to find ways to cope and to be heard and supported by a non-judgmental guide. It’s perfect for everybody, and there is no “one reason” that people seek out advice from a counselling professional.

The video below shows the reasons why some of us here at Open Colleges went to counselling.

Some of the reasons included: “To seek clarification and get some direction. I needed someone to talk to, an anonymous person to listen.” and “I needed some guidance to deal with the breakdown of my 10 year relationship.”

Whatever you’re struggling with, there will be a method of therapy and a counsellor that can help you.

And remember, thousands of people understand the troubles you are facing.

So be brave and reach out for help. We promise, it will make a world of difference.

Some of the reasons included:

• “To seek clarification and get some direction. I needed someone to talk to, an anonymous person to listen.” and “I needed some guidance to deal with the breakdown of my 10 year relationship.”
  • “To help me deal with the death of my Mum.”
  • “I needed some guidance to deal with the breakdown of my 1o year relationship.”
  • “I am Bipolar Depressive. I wasn’t getting on well with life. Counselling, in a way, saved my life.”
  • “I wanted to be better able to deal with things that affected me and were out of control.”
  • “My husband attempted suicide while I was pregnant. I needed someone who would listen without bias. They’re a paid friend I can count on.”
  • “I couldn’t manage my work-life balance which effectively led to a nervous breakdown, exacerbated by PTSD.”

Are you passionate about helping others?

A Diploma of Counselling from Open Colleges will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to guide people through the tough times in life.