Learning the skills I need to help other parents

by alina

After finding there was a lack of support for parents of kids with ADHD and other behavioural issues, Josie from Sydney began a Diploma of Counselling with the dream of offering that support to parents herself.

Sydney mum Josie got into counselling with the goal of helping others and she has quickly found that it is also a way for her to really thrive. With a lifelong interest in personal development, Josie decided that a Diploma of Counselling was the ideal way to launch her career.

“I’ve decided to do this course as a way of learning how to support other families who are dealing with children with behavioural issues”, she says. Her son Joey was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of three and Josie could not find the proper support for him at school. I thought, “Well then, why don’t I do that? Then I can go and help other parents.”

Coming upon her course on Facebook, Josie hasn’t looked back. She structures her study time around her young children’s needs and works from home at her own pace. For someone who wasn’t sure whether online study would suit her, she’s has found support provided by fellow students and the faculty invaluable.

“Your fellow students will reply to the discussion board. Your trainer will reply in the discussion board. If you send a private message to your trainer, they reply. Even with Open Colleges themselves, admin, it’s the same thing, they reply to you and that makes you feel important”.

“If it’s in your heart, do it.”

Josie’s drive to help her son is making her thrive in her studies, regularly achieving distinctions. “What motivated me to change my life was my passion for personal development and wanting to be a different person,” she says. Her advice for someone who is wanting to succeed in studying is to manage their time, be organised and follow their heart. “If it’s in your heart, do it,” she says. Because the course does change the way you see things.”

Josie has grown personally through the course, becoming more confident in the way she communicates with others. “I used to have a habit of advising people of what to do and now I say, ‘Well, how do you think this could work?’ – I wouldn’t say that before.” The course has also given Josie a full understanding of the role a counsellor plays and she is learning to give people the tools to figure out the answers themselves rather than instructing them to make specific choices.

While family always comes first, Josie is excited to pursue more studies. On studying in general she says, “If you had asked me that 20 years ago when I was in Year 12, I would have said, ‘I hate it!’ But how do I feel about it now? It’s important. This is just the tip of the iceberg for me…”

Find out more about Josie’s story here.

Interested in using your skills to help others?

Consider a course in counselling or community services and begin a challenging and rewarding career.