Nailing her new career: Kylie’s journey with studying beauty online

by Yvette Maurice

Kylie Kimlin is a busy mum of three little kids, living in a small town in the Mid North region of South Australia called Saddleworth. Her crowded schedule and remote location meant that Kylie’s options for study were limited, so she started doing some research online to see if there was some way she could get the beauty therapy credentials she required to start work in the area of nail technology.

“I chose Open Colleges because to study elsewhere, I would have to find care for my children before and after school, or take morning classes where my travel time would take over my learning time” Kylie explains. She found Open Colleges to be the most convenient way to study, making use of Open Colleges’ customised social platform, OpenSpace.

“Studying online was very easy – OpenSpace was easy to use. With it, I could submit assessments and view grades. It allowed me to study in my own time, in the evenings, with no distractions.”

The suburban mum had wanted a career option that combined her love of the beauty industry with the flexibility and hours she was looking for. The Certificate II in Nail Technology was the perfect fit for Kylie. Kylie was able to put her skills into practice at a salon called ‘Melhora’ where she did a work placement with salon owner Melissa Hurrell.

“This course is the start of a new beginning for me. I’ve never studied anything before, so I am looking forward to one day having my own nail salon and having clients of my own. I’d like my clients to be proud of wearing the nails I have done for them!”

Kylie was quite efficient with her study schedule, but she was realistic about how much work she could complete, and made sure she took her time. Kylie explains, “I was in no rush to finish, so I took things at my own pace. I finished a couple of months before the 18 month duration of my course was up.”

She was also successful at gaining a Structured Work Placement. This is where students who are studying a course with a large practical component go to learn extra on-the-job skills. In Kylie’s case, she was able to find a work placement to learn additional tips and tricks.

Kylie believes that her Structured Work Placement really helped her. “It is amazing what tips and different ways to do things you learn! Everything finally starts to make sense.” Kylie has also benefitted from meeting other students and mentors in the beauty industry; “I have met so many people through this course and outside our classes, their friendship, support and knowledge pushes me to learn more.”

Kylie has some advice for someone who might be considering undertaking online study: “Check the pricing of the course you would like to take. Open Colleges was the most affordable nationally recognised course I found and to my surprise had a special 20 per cent discount running when I decided to enrol – which was a huge saving for me.”

Kylie has said that she really enjoyed her study through Open Colleges, expanding to mention her trainers. She says, “I now love the whole nail industry even more from all the tips and learning I have picked up on through my placement!

My trainers and other members of the team were always there to help me with any questions and concerns I had. They played a huge part in my success!” Open Colleges looks forward to hearing about Kylie’s future success in the beauty industry.

1 Response

1. Andie says:

Well done Kylie!! I believe, beauty industry is one of the best fields to get into today. Although, I haven’t don’t my course with Opencolleges, most of my friends did and they are pretty happy with their experience!
    Also, for all those who are planning to start a course in hair and beauty I would suggest applying for this scholarship offered by AMR hair and beauty. See the link here – https://amr.com.au/scholarship/