Why lifelong learning is great for business: Jackie’s Open Colleges Accounting course

by Yvette Maurice

David Soccio

Jackie Kidd is a great advocate for building a successful life in regional Australia. Since moving to Orange in New South Wales 30 years ago, Jackie has raised a family, educated herself and, with her partner, built one of the town’s more successful businesses.

“I moved here with my children from Sydney in 1982 because I wanted them to have a safe haven,” says Jackie.

For the past 15 years, Jackie and her partner have run Technical Support Solutions and the Laptop Shop, and she believes her focus on education and training has been an important element in the growth of the business.

“I am currently completing an accounting course, a FNS40611 Certificate IV in Accounting with Open Colleges, as I believe that continuing education is critical to keep on top of the latest developments that can affect a business or a career,” she says.

Jackie is committed to lifelong learning, having completed a series of work-related educational courses over the years in management, workplace training and assessment and IT.  She also is familiar with the other side of the desk, having been a TAFE teacher for eight years.

“I chose to study with Open Colleges because it is a distance learning specialist that provides a highly flexible course structure and I had to have the time to fit my studies around the priorities of running a business,” she explains.

Jackie will complete her accounting course in April next year and she will be putting it to good use in the business.

“The new qualifications will meet the government requirements that allow me to complete BAS returns, which is another service we can offer our customers,” she adds.